Style Repository - adding new entry

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ron Horn

Style Repository - adding new entry

Unread post by Ron Horn »

So I've got a style repository based off a primary document I've created. Later I may want to add other topics there from other books that already exist. How do I do that? Just Add File, give it a name, then literally copy/paste the XML from the other file?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Style Repository - adding new entry

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ron Horn wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:49 pm So I've got a style repository based off a primary document I've created. Later I may want to add other topics there from other books that already exist. How do I do that? Just Add File, give it a name, then literally copy/paste the XML from the other file?
Pretty much. In practice repository projects are just regular projects without TOCs. The only difference is the style and linking managing code in the background that is completely transparent to the user.

The only thing you need to be careful about is that the topic ID of topics in the repository should never be identical with the the ID of the topic in which it is being inserted when it is used as a snippet.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ron Horn

Tim Green wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:06 am In practice repository projects are just regular projects without TOCs. The only difference is the style and linking managing code in the background that is completely transparent to the user.
Except that I can't also use them (via H&M) to checkout/sync with SVN. That has to be done externally. Not a big deal, but I just wonder why.

Thanks for the tip on the Topic ID's on the topics utilizing the snippets being unique from that in the Style repo. I would have likely missed that!
Ron Horn

Uh, then again, turns out I can utilize Synchronize SVN from within H&M for Style Repositories. You just can't "Load an SVN project and open it Locally" from an SVN URL if that URL contains a Style Repository and not a "Book" project. Not a big deal really since I can sync now but should that work too?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ron Horn wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:39 pm You just can't "Load an SVN project and open it Locally" from an SVN URL if that URL contains a Style Repository and not a "Book" project. Not a big deal really since I can sync now but should that work too?
I'm not entirely sure about this since it's not an option I've ever used myself. My guess is that it is just an edge case that wasn't considered. There is no technical reason I can think of why you shouldn't be able to VC a repository since it is just as much an uncompressed XML project as an HMXP project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.