Links in data-type dropdown

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tony Starbuck

Links in data-type dropdown

Unread post by Tony Starbuck »

When editing a page, I have a habit of using copy/paste to insert an empty dropdown toggle table. (Sorry, I'm new to H&M and don't know what that's called here yet. :oops:) Then I put the cursor in the text, type a new header, delete what was there, and it looks fine. But I just found out that this pattern results in some of the header text not being with the link that toggles the expand/collapse. OK, time to break that bad short-lived habit...

What is a better pattern to use to create a new collapsable section like that, or to edit the text without breaking out of the link? Sure, can check and edit the markup but I'm hoping for something a little more professional, less primitive. :mrgreen: I'm guessing I'm missing a good feature somewhere.

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Links in data-type dropdown

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tony,
But I just found out that this pattern results in some of the header text not being with the link that toggles the expand/collapse. OK, time to break that bad short-lived habit...
It's actually fine to do it like that. The only problem is that currently the active header part is no longer highlighted in the editor when you're editing it. This will be corrected in a future version; it's a cosmetic issue with the new editor engine.

The easiest way to avoid this happening is to double-click on the header to edit it. This opens the toggle settings window where you can edit the caption while being sure that all your text will be inside the link portion.

By the way: Rather than copy-pasting every time, it's even easier to save a dummy toggle that you've set up as you want to have it as an XML snippet in your project folder. Then you just insert it with the Snippet tool every time you want to use a toggle like that. This works for all kinds of frequently-used text blocks. See this topic in the help for full instructions:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... ppets.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tony Starbuck

Re: Links in data-type dropdown

Unread post by Tony Starbuck »

Ahh, good advice! I have a snippets project and use them all the time - as links. I haven't used the copy option in there, haha, I guess I will now.

Danke!