Scary things showed up in report Unused Images - bootmgr

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Scary things showed up in report Unused Images - bootmgr

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

This appeared at the bottom of a full report on our project:

Web tells me if I mess around with bootmgr, my Win 10 won't boot...

Scary. I didn't move any of these 3.

"C:" has appeared in my Configuration: Project Search Path. I don't remember putting it there, but I've removed the entry.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Scary things showed up in report Unused Images - bootmgr

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting this. Of course, C:\ should never be on your project search path, but those files should also never show up there either... I'm passing this right on to the dev team.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Thanks, Tim. I definitely need built-in safeguards like that kind of internal data filter.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Funny! :D But nothing will happen if you click on that button, except for an error dialog that Help+Manual could not remove these files. Most probably it cannot even remove the .BMP file in the root directory. Deleting files from the root folder requires admin rights, which H&M does not have while running normally.

The reporting of files without an extension as an unused image, however, is a small bug. We'll fix this with the next update. It's not really critical and the upside is: without this bug you'd never learned that the root folder C:\ is in your search path.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Dave Gehman

Alexander Halser wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 pm It's not really critical and the upside is: without this bug you'd never learned that the root folder C:\ is in your search path.
Glad that it wouldn't have deleted the files, but I almost never experiment when Microsoft stuff is involved, in the same way I'd never pick up a live bomb...

It does remain a mystery around how C:\ got in the search path. It wasn't "C:\" but just "C" -- I stumbled my way through DOS all those years ago, so I know that "C" isn't a path.