Deeply DeepL-ing: translate multiple topics? whole project?

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Deeply DeepL-ing: translate multiple topics? whole project?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

From as deeply as I can dive into DeepL info in H+M help, it seems that I can translate only within a single topic. ("Only" is unfair -- having this ability at all is wonderful.)

The translation itself then (if I understand it right) takes the place of the original text.

Is there a way to translate several topics at one time with the DeepL plugin? Or an entire H+M project?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Deeply DeepL-ing: translate multiple topics? whole project?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dave Gehman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:23 pmIs there a way to translate several topics at one time with the DeepL plugin? Or an entire H+M project?
No, and this is very intentional, for two reasons: First, despite its stellar quality, DeepL itself is still a very new company and we want to introduce the capabilities slowly. Second, also despite its stellar quality, you cannot and should never just accept the translations without thoroughly proofreading and editing them. Unless errors really don't matter at all the translation should be done by a native speaker of the target language who understands the source language as well. The way it is set up at the moment covers our due diligence of making sure that our customers at least look at every piece of text that is translated. Everything else is your responsibility... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

I understand, but I'd think that the quality of our translation would be our concern, not yours. To obtain the DeepL license, we had to sign an agreement that we will not use the translation (without our personal vetting) for mission critical uses, because it is machine translated. In other words, we have already agreed that we are to work in a way that is well-warned and well-armed against translation faux pas...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

I get that, but the other issue still applies. More complete translation options are planned and will be coming in future updates. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

the other issue still applies
Oh, I see - meaning the EC-Software vetting or at least testing of the DeepL activity... Point taken.
Tim Green wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:47 pm More complete translation options are planned and will be coming in future updates. :)
I hear my boss saying, "Hurry hurry hurry hurry..." :)
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

It's been a year now.

How is DeepL integration coming along? Are we going to see full project translation sometime?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm How is DeepL integration coming along? Are we going to see full project translation sometime?
Patience, Grasshopper. We're still in the middle of a pandemic that is messing up all schedules royally. However, work on this is very definitely ongoing.

That being said, I'd like to comment on this as someone who worked as a professional technical translator for more than twenty years: Processing your entire documentation with machine translation at the touch of a button and then publishing it is a genuinely terrible idea. It can and will result in serious errors that may lead to damages and liability lawsuits if used for critical instructions.

From a translator's standpoint, the current system is already optimal, but even then only if operated by a native speaker of the target language who also understands the material being translated. Even though DeepL is astoundingly good, its results should ALWAYS be proofread and edited by someone who understands the language and its content. Just button-push translating your documentation into a language you don't understand, and then publishing it without proofreeding and correction by someone who does, is grossly irresponsible, and in the case of critical instructions, grossly negligent.

Unfortunately, none of this is going to prevent anyone from doing it. Corner-cutting and self-delusion are human nature, particularly when they result in cost savings and profit. For corroboration see everything from Exxon Valdez to Deepwater Horizon to the climate crisis. :roll:
Regards,

Private support:
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I wasn't pushing, just curious as to how it was progressing.

When we translate our documents they get translated and then separately proofread.

Therefore, even if I translated every single topic individually (and with 1000+ page documents, that isn't going to happen), I still wouldn't be checking for errors as I give everything to a professional, native proof-reader anyway.

This also brings me on to my second point which is that someone who doesn't get a translated document proofread before it goes out, probably isn't going to be proofreading it on the fly either.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:47 pm When we translate our documents they get translat ed and then separately proofread.
That's better than nothing but not optimal, because the proofreaders will only compare with the source in exceptional cases, and they will miss (a lot of) errors as a result. That's just human nature. Telling them to always compare won't help much, because their focus will wander off into the bushes when they're proofreading through one topic after another. Having them actually perform the translation process page by page with the current implementation of DeepL is a lot more effective from a proofreading point of view, because it forces the person doing it to really look at both the source and the results as the work progresses.
Regards,

Private support: