Special chars in Topic ID's

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ron Horn

Special chars in Topic ID's

Unread post by Ron Horn »

Just confirming that this is known to cause problems - which would not be a total surprise.

For example, Topic title with Trademark(tm) - with tm being superscript seems to create random havoc in my web output. I say random because it works at first but then not.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Special chars in Topic ID's

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ron,

Is the ™ character just in the title/TOC caption of your topic or actually in the topic ID? You can check this in the Topic Options tab. In the caption and title it should be fine, but it should never be allowed to be in the topic ID. It might conceivably get in there with a Word import. If that is the case we need to know about it so that we can filter things like that out.

Also, if it's causing problems in the caption or title we need to know which skin you are using, because then it would be an issue there. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ron Horn

Unread post by Ron Horn »

It was in the "ID".

Story is, we imported from RTF. LOTS of "numbered" topic ID's automatically created. So we went through and updated each of them to match the Topic TITLE. Think copy/paste. So that's how it got into the Topic ID.

In web output those with TM in the Topic ID would display ONCE - if you initiated generation FROM that page - because the browser opens ON the page you were viewing when Publish is initiated. The URL would actually contain the TM which is interesting. But the URL associated with the topic (when loaded from the Contents pane) would have %99 instead of the TM.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the information. Those characters should never be in topic IDs. HM should actually convert them to something innocuous like - or _. This is being taken care of at the moment. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.