Import RTF-file to an existing topic using available RTF-chapter-structure as sub-topics

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rosenberg

Import RTF-file to an existing topic using available RTF-chapter-structure as sub-topics

Unread post by Rosenberg »

Hello Help and Manual-Team,

When I import an RTF file into any topic, all of the text is imported into the current selected topic.
So far it works fine.
But the existing chapter structure inside the RTF file is ignored.
How can be used the available chapter structure stored in the RTF file as subordinated topics to the current topic?
Thanks for an information about this.
Rosenberg

Re: Import RTF-file to an existing topic using available RTF-chapter-structure as sub-topics

Is it possible on file-menu import to set an option to define the topic to which the RTF-import is stored to?
This way it would be easy to get existing chapter-structure of RTF-file as sub-topics to the selected topic.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Import RTF-file to an existing topic using available RTF-chapter-structure as sub-topics

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Klemens,

The trick here is to use the Import option in the File menu, not the single topic import option. Then it will import the structure of the RTF file, provided that the standard Word Heading 1 ... Heading 6 styles are used for the outline headings (HM supports a maximum of 6 levels).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Tim Green wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:12 am standard Word Heading 1 ... Heading 6 styles are used for the outline headings.
Actually I think H+M uses the outline level of styles, not their names. Of course for Heading 1 ... Heading 6 the outline levels are 1 .. 6.

But there's nothing to stop you assigning outline levels to any other paragraph style — you're not forced to use the built-in heading styles.
[screenshot] Word paragraph outline level dropdown list.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,
Actually I think H+M uses the outline level of styles, not their names. Of course for Heading 1 ... Heading 6 the outline levels are 1 .. 6.
But there's nothing to stop you assigning outline levels to any other paragraph style — you're not forced to use the built-in heading styles.
Thanks for this information. I stopped trusting Word for anything longer than a grocery list many years ago out of painful experience of it repeatedly mangling and completely losing work and only ever touch it for testing, so my knowledge of its current state of disarray is relatively limited. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rosenberg

Hi Tim,
I do know the import option on file-menu.
But there is no posibility to set the root-topic to which the RTF-import is appened to using the given structure to that topic as subtopics.
After import an RTF-file, I do have manually to move all impored topics to that topic I want to append to - this takes a lot of work!
This would be an easy option to support by very less effort on development but spend a great profit!
Kind regards
Klemens
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Klemens,

You can cut and paste multiple topics in the TOC. Select with CTRL+Click and SHIFT+Click, cut and paste with CTRL+X and CTRL+V or the right-click context menu.
Regards,

Private support:
Rosenberg

Hi Tim,
thank you that works fine.
Only it meens an extra step while importing-process.
Although I know the topic to add to the importing data bevor starting the import-process.
Well so far it works.
Kind regards
Klemens