Add a variable to a list of selected topics

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rosenberg

Add a variable to a list of selected topics

Unread post by Rosenberg »

Hi together,
is it possible to add a defined variable to selected topics?
- Select certain topics
- Add the same variable to all selected topics
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Add a variable to a list of selected topics

Unread post by Tim Green »

You don't really "add" variables to topics like that. Variables are defined globally for the entire project and don't belong to specific topics unless you change their definition for that topic. When you use a variable you must physically insert it in the text, so "adding" it to a list of topics wouldn't really make sense.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rosenberg

Unread post by Rosenberg »

Hi Tim,
ok your'e right, I do not really add variables to a topic unless I want to change the value of it.
But this is currently necessary, because of a change of the value for specific Topics.
This is because of an output as export or print.
But for changing the value by a topic, it is necessary to insert that variable to the Topic, to be able to change the global value by that Topic.
So it do make sense to insert a certain varable to a list of selected Topics!
I'm sorry but it's caused by your own implemented workflow for handling variables!

Currently I insert it manually in the xml-editor, but it's a lot of work and takes again a lot of time!

Kind regards
Klemens
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Rosenberg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:46 am So it do make sense to insert a certain varable to a list of selected Topics!
It isn't something you can do within Help+Manual. It has to be done in each topic individually. You could do this with an external multi-file grepping tool, like PowerGREP or WinGREP. Using tools like those you could select multiple topic files from your /Topics folder and then use a regex search and replace argument to insert the variable redefinitions you need in the topic XML. To see the XML you need, just do it manually in one topic and look at the before and after XML code.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.