Repeat header not working in MS Word output

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Caroline D

Repeat header not working in MS Word output

Unread post by Caroline D »

Hello,
the repeat header option does not work in tables in my MS Word output.
In H&M, I have "1" in the option "number of heading rows" in the table properties.
In the word output file, in table properties, the option "repeat as header row at the top of each page" is checked for the header row. but it doesn't work. If I create a new Word doc and copy-paste the table, it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Repeat header not working in MS Word output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Caroline,

I just tested this extensively in a number of configurations and I can't reproduce what you are seeing here. Before we go deeper into troubleshooting please check the following:
  • Restart Windows. This should always be the first step on any weirdness at the moment as Windows has once again become less robust when it's been on without being restarted for more than 24 hours.
  • Check that you're using the current version of Help+Manual 8 (8.1.0 Build 5536)
If you continue to have problems:
  • What version of Windows are you running?
  • What version of Word/Office?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Caroline,
It works like a charm for me. Can you perhaps send an example project to reproduce your case?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Caroline D

Unread post by Caroline D »

Hi Tim,
I'm using H&M 8.1.0 5536, Windows 10 version 2004, MS Word 2019 MSO (16.0.13029.20232).
I've just found out that the feature doesn't work when the table is inside a dropdown toggle section. it works fine if the table is not inside a toggle.
By the way, when publishing to Word, I get the following error message from Word:
"Word found unreadable content in ....docx. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click Yes."
I click Yes and the "Show repairs" dialog opens but if I click "Go To" nothing happens. I have had this error for a long time but it didn't seem to be a problem, so I ignored it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Caroline,
I've just found out that the feature doesn't work when the table is inside a dropdown toggle section. it works fine if the table is not inside a toggle.
That is normal. The toggle content is enclosed in a table (you can see that directly in the editor), so you have a nested table, which cannot split. The table must not be inside another table in order to be able to split.
I have had this error for a long time but it didn't seem to be a problem, so I ignored it.
This is usually a problem with your Word template -- possibly an old one or one that contains some additional content that Word doesn't like. If you use one of the unedited ones from the \Templates\Word\ folder in the Help+Manual program directory you will probably find that it works without the error message.

However, if your output continues to be OK you can probably ignore it. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.