Set variable value from Build

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob Davis

Set variable value from Build

Unread post by Rob Davis »

HI
This is a long shot - we have just 'multiplied' the number of variants that I need to publish.
Any chance I could reset the value of a text variable based on the choices in the Build conditions?

I know I could substitute the whole variable file using a command line.
But I am still in a development phase and don't want to invest time in building multiple 'test' command lines.

It would be really handy to do it just by selecting a build variable, until we have firmed up on the possible variants.

Conceptually
BuildConditions
Mod1
Mod2
Mod3
At Publish time -
IF BUILDCONDITION mod1 = YES, <%MODELNAME%> = "Model One"

Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Set variable value from Build

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rob,

You can't do this directly with the build conditions but you can achieve it with the publishing task manager. That allows you to define publishing tasks in which you can redefine variables and other things for each output "action" defined. An action is a single publishing job for the project, in which you set the output format, skin, build option settings, output filename and path, variable definitions and more. You can group multiple actions in a task and publish them all together. See this chapter in the documentation:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... tasks.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rob Davis

Re: Set variable value from Build

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Thanks Tim - Sounds good, I will try to use this ASAP.