Dropping in file links

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Dropping in file links

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I like that you can drop file links into H+M.

1/ If I drop in a group of more than 1 files, can I have it automatically have each link on a new line?

At the moment it just groups everything into a single bunch.

2/ By default it creates the link in the root of my project file. How can I change this?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Dropping in file links

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

I just tried it out and you're right -- that's a limitation I wasn't aware of. I'm sure it's an easy fix and I'm passing it on to our developers for the ToDo list. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Thanks, Tim.

Any pointers on setting the file location?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:00 am Any pointers on setting the file location?
This is a little confusing when making the link. The point here is that when creating file links you are not creating a link now, but planning a link for the future. Where the link needs to point depends entirely on where the file is going to be located in relation to the help when the user clicks on the link, not where it is while you are editing the project. Also, Help+Manual won't handle storing the files in the correct location for you. That is up to you.

Generally speaking, it's easiest to put the files in the same folder as the documentation. Then you just need to reference the filename and you're done. This is also the only option that will work in CHM unless you include the full absolute path to the file, including the drive letter.

If you're not going to put the files in the same folder as the documentation I would always recommend putting them on your web server and using an Internet link instead. That is actually the best option all round: Then you don't need to distribute the files with your documentation and you can update them at any time. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Tim Green wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am Hi Gareth,

I just tried it out and you're right -- that's a limitation I wasn't aware of. I'm sure it's an easy fix and I'm passing it on to our developers for the ToDo list. 8)
Any news on this, Tim?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gareth,

This is coming in the next maintenance update. If you want to try it out you can install the current beta:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v822.exe
Regards,

Private support:
Ga Bowen

Thanks Tim.

Works perfectly. :D
Ga Bowen

Tim Green wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:42 pm
Ga Bowen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:00 am Any pointers on setting the file location?
This is a little confusing when making the link. The point here is that when creating file links you are not creating a link now, but planning a link for the future. Where the link needs to point depends entirely on where the file is going to be located in relation to the help when the user clicks on the link, not where it is while you are editing the project. Also, Help+Manual won't handle storing the files in the correct location for you. That is up to you.

Generally speaking, it's easiest to put the files in the same folder as the documentation. Then you just need to reference the filename and you're done. This is also the only option that will work in CHM unless you include the full absolute path to the file, including the drive letter.
How do I go about doing this? This is how my document is organised:
  • Root folder - H+M_produced_doc.pdf
    • BoM folder
    • Drawings folder
    • Reference files folder
My pdf has references to documents in the BoM, Drawings and Reference files folders.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gareth,
My pdf has references to documents in the BoM, Drawings and Reference files folders.
OK, so assuming the document is called mydoc.docx your File links would look like this:

.\BoM\mydoc.docx
.\Drawings\mydoc.docx
.\Reference files\mydoc.docx

To achieve this, you choose the File Link tab on the left in the Hyperlink tool dialog. Then enter "mydoc.docx" in the File Name: field and, for example, ".\Reference files\" in the Relative Path: field (in both cases without the quotes).
Regards,

Private support: