DeepL: 2 questions

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

chfrmeyer

DeepL: 2 questions

Unread post by chfrmeyer »

I'm very interested in using DeepL plugged into Help&Manual (API License), but 2 Things (and maybe more) puzzle me:

1-
Do I understand correctly, that 1 license unit is of Deepl API is sufficient if no more that one person AT THE SAME TIME uses it, but a number of persons ("seats") could use it alternatingly?

2- Begriff "Glossar" -
I find the use of the term "Glossary" a bit confusing.
- In the Help&Manual Plugin context the term apparently is used for a list of words or expressions that should not be translated.
- In a DeepL context I find it used for a list of entries specifying how a word or expression should be translated, to the exclusion of other possible translations. You could also call it a dual-language or multi-language terminology list.

I am certainly interested in a "Glossary" in the latter sense.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Re: DeepL: 2 questions

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

You should ask DeepL.com to be sure about this.

But from the license conditions, I cannot see why this license should be restricted to a single user. You pay for the amount of words that you translate, plus a minimum monthly fee. We internally share our API key, though for testing only. It has never been a problem to access the API with the same key from different IP addresses. And the actual server communication just takes a few seconds, when you hit the Translate button. It's unlikely that 2 users do this at the same time.
In a DeepL context I find it used for a list of entries specifying how a word or expression should be translated
We've designed the glossaries to work with dedicated translation pairs. However, it doesn't really work in practice. Please contact our support at support@ec-software.com for more details.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH