WebP image format

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Wynne

WebP image format

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Are there any plans to support Google's "weppy" (*.webp) image format in H&M? It's been around for 10 years now and seems to be gaining ground lately. Supported in most browsers and in GIMP, IrfanView, Affinity, and other graphics editors:

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: WebP image format

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

Try this:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v821.exe

You can now insert .webp graphics. In WebHelp they will be exported natively as .webp without a fallback. In all other formats they will be converted to PNG. If you think it's too early to use .webp without a fallback, use PNG instead. Using it with a fallback would nearly double the data and make pages unnecessarily complicated.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Thanks Tim.

In my tests it looks to be a good alternative for lossless screenshots instead of 24-bit PNG. I'm seeing up to 50% or sometimes more reduction in file size for some screenshots (and so faster download), with no reduction in image quality as far as I can see. Works fine in all browsers I have tried so no worries about using it for WebHelp. (For Ewriter it needs a plug-in.)

cheers,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Martin Wynne wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 pm (For Ewriter it needs a plug-in.)
No, because WebP is automatically converted to PNG in eWriter output. Native WebP is only exported to WebHelp. Be warned that it won't work in older browsers, particularly anyone using Safari in a version that wasn't updated this September or later. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Tim Green wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:12 amNo, because WebP is automatically converted to PNG in eWriter output.
Sorry Tim, I meant that the TWebBrowser component needs a plug-in for weppy images, not that H&M's eWriter wouldn't work.

cheers,

Martin.