Dept of Never Satisfied - now wants a line in minimalist layout

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Dept of Never Satisfied - now wants a line in minimalist layout

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

My boss, who wanted a minimalist online WebHelp and asked to have all the panels and lines removed from skin Modern_Starndard_Very_Plain-WebHelp now wants a line.

The minimalist, line-free version that's currently online:

Now, he'd like a line of demarcation at the base of the topic Index, something like this:

Is there a way to add this image or line to the stationary topic index? I remember a number of bordercolor settings in PPT, which I set to transparent, but I'm not sure which might control just the topic title.
Martin Wynne

Re: Dept of Never Satisfied - now wants a line in minimalist layout

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dave,

That's set by editing the borders for the Heading style, or creating a new style for the headers:

hm_heading_border.png

Add a single border of the desired width (line thickness), and then switch off all except the bottom border.

cheers,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

If you are going to do it in the way Martin suggests (by editing your project style rather than something in the skin) you also need to change a setting in the skin to use the formatted topic header instead of just the plan text from the header. When editing the skin in Toolbox, select the Skin Options button and activate the checkbox to the right of the OPT_HDFORMAT option.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Again, the skin is Modern_Starndard_Very_Plain-WebHelp

How might I accomplish this in the skin?

We need some sort delimitation between the topic head and the topic body
-- a line between the head of the topic and the body
-or-
-- a light gray background to the topic head
-or-
-- some means I'm not thinking up right now

(I've tried Martin's method, but most of the buttons for Heading1 (Standard) in our project are grayed out. I can find one reason for this locking -- that there is a style repository... but we don't have a style repository. Tim's reply seems to suggest that there is a way to accomplish this in the skin via PPT.)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Look for the two p.topictitle { definitions in the hmwebhelp_main CSS files for desktop and tablet (don't do this for phones!). You can add your border settings there, for example:

Code: Select all

p.topictitle {
	font-family: <%TOPICTITLEFONT_DESK%>;
	font-size: <%TOPICTITLE_FONTSIZE_DESK%>rem;
	font-weight: bold;
	color: <%TOPICTITLE_COLOR%>;
	margin: 0; padding: 0;
        border-bottom: thin solid silver;
        padding-bottom: 0.200rem;
	}	
The second occurrence is for the printed version. There you should just add border-bottom: none;. You might also want to do that in the hmwebhelp_main_print.css if you want to avoid having the line in the printed version, or alternatively switch the color to black there.

Could you post a screenshot of what you're setting in your Edit Styles where you can't edit the style attributes?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Thanks again.

First, the screenshot (I can't make out what the red rounded-triangle icon is trying to tell me):

Second - why no bottom-border in the printed version?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

That's linked to a style repository, or at least was once and still has the settings for some styles. With the project open and selected, go to File > Repository Manager and select Project does not use a repository in the dropdown. When asked, make sure you confirm that you want to KEEP all styles.

No bottom line for printing: Just thought you might not want it. Alternatively, as I suggested, change the color to black for that. The lighter color looks better on screen but won't be so good when printing. 8)
Regards,

Private support: