Invalid Variable Value

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Invalid Variable Value

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hello,

as usual I turn here in complete despair after trying hard and remaining baffled.

I use figure and table counting variables. I insert the variable via Ctrl+T (so no mistyping). After that I see
2020-11-21_08-47-27.jpg
Sure enough the output here is
2020-11-21_08-42-58.jpg
but as you can see the using the variable at the bottom yields the desired result.

I played around with SETing the variable to 0 or 1 but the problem remains....

Also I wonder if the syntax in the help file is correct, beacuse it did nothing for me
2020-11-21_08-50-32.jpg
Is the backslash correct here?

Thanks,

/Gerold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Invalid Variable Value

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,
Is the backslash correct here?
No. That is just used to prevent variables from being evaluated in Help+Manual output. It's used in the documentation to enable the variables to be shown in examples and shouldn't be visible in the output. What's happening is that the backslash isn't being suppressed in the output when the sample variable has an additional modifier like the = character. I'll look into that. If you're using the backslash in your variables then they won't be evaluated, because it will actively prevent that. 8)

Does it work when you remove the backslash from your variables?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Hi Tim,

I see you are also bored on weekends :twisted:

First, I was just hanging on to documentation as the last resort. This should IMHO work without any funmbling around (and it did). And ther is no explanantion for the 'INVALID VARIABLE VALUE' stuff.

When I do the setting
2020-11-21_15-28-39.jpg
the PDF Outcome is
2020-11-21_15-30-57.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gerold Krommer

:typing: The only way to achieve what I want is to have an invisibe (white) caption block in the beginning explicitly setting the starting value to zero. So (keeping the first unneccessary caption readable for illustration purposes)
2020-11-21_16-28-34.jpg
yields

2020-11-21_16-29-21.jpg

If I'm not totally under 'Punsch'-Control (warm,sweet,high percentage alcohol drink) this looks like an unitialized variable problem to me.

Thnaks,
Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gerold,

Why not set the first instance of the variable to =1 and the second to -1 to force it to be the same number?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Hi Tim,

good idea, simple math. But is this the way it is designed?

Thx,
/gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Gerold Krommer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 pm good idea, simple math. But is this the way it is designed?
Pretty much so, yes. Each instance of a variable increments it, so if you use it twice in the same table you need to do something to prevent incrementation the second time.
Regards,

Private support: