V7 and V8 side by side

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

V7 and V8 side by side

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi,
We just recently got v8 and of course haven't transferred all projects.
We currently have v7 on the build server.
Can I expect any issues if I edit a project with v8 but it gets built with V7? (Under the assumption that I don't use any new features)

Or would it be better to install V8 on the build server under the assumption that the V7 projects will be built without issue?

On the same note, if I edit and save a project in V8 (Under the assumption that I don't use any new features) and then open it in V7, will I have issues?
Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: V7 and V8 side by side

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

The project formats of HM7 and HM8 are compatible.

Do not use the three new objects "Formulas", "Link Lists" and "Figure Captions". These objects are unknown to older versions of H&M and would be deleted silently when you save a HM8 project containing them with HM7. Everything else is compatible. HelpXplain presentations also have additional parameters for printing, but are generally backwards compatible.

One thing you should never do, however, is collaborate on projects with different versions. All users working on the same project at the same time must be using the same version and build number.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Re: V7 and V8 side by side

Unread post by John Johann »

Sounds like V8 is going on the build server :-)