Image and table captions

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Image and table captions

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi,
On switching to V8, I'll also be looking at updating captioning.
I currently use the old counter variables and expanding text toggles for images. Is it possible (planned) to include their captions in a table of figures?
Is it possible to include conditions in a caption (I'd like the caption to be displayed below the toggle in print and only in the toggle bar in html -- I currently use conditions around the toggle caption and have an extra figure caption below the toggle for print).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Image and table captions

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

The old counter variables are supported for the time being but only in their old form and they are deprecated. There is no interaction between the new and old counter variable system and none is planned.

You can't use conditional text within the caption dialog. However, the actual caption is simply the remaining text in the same paragraph after the caption link, so you can then apply conditional tags to that text, provided everything stays in the same paragraph. Alternatively you can also apply conditional text to the entire paragraph, including the caption object.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm hoping to reduce the number of conditions / places to forget translating :-) etc. As the figure captions need to be below the image for print and above for toggling, it looks like I'll need both (unless you can make magic toggles that open up not down).

I was toying with the table of figures, tables, user defined yesterday. I set the option start on odd page for the tables section, that only applies to the first page -- the table of tables and table of user defined start on any new page. Have I missed a setting somewhere?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,
the table of tables and table of user defined start on any new page. Have I missed a setting somewhere?
In your project, look in Configuration > Publishing > PDF > PDF Layout and make sure that the "Ignore blank pages" option is turned off. When it's on it suppresses the generation of blank pages, which is necessary to force starting on an even or odd page in exactly 50% of all cases. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Thanks -- that's exactly how I've set it (disabled). The Table of tables starts on the next new page.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

There are separate page break settings for each table type down at the bottom of the dialog:
tables_breaks.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
The settings are set as follows.
In Configuration > Publishing options > PDF Layout :
Ignore Blank Pages in PDF file --> disabled (not checked)

In the mnl Template > Edit properties for the Tables section:
Print this section --> checked
Section starts --> Always on an odd page
Page numbering style > Numeric (1, 2, 3, 4, ...)
Use Master page as background for this section --> checked
PDF Bookmark Text --> Tables
Margins & Columns --> all set (don't think you need the values :-))

Band --> (Can't change the width of the first column, but that's not important here)
List of Figures Heading --> New page
List of Figures Entry --> None
List of Tables Heading --> New page
List of Tables Entry --> None
List of Custom Figures Heading --> New page
List of Custom Figures Entry --> None

My Top Level Heading in Topics pages is set to Section starts --> Always on an odd page --> and that works fine.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

Do you actually have a problem at all then? You wrote originally:
the table of tables and table of user defined start on any new page.
And your settings are:

Code: Select all

List of Figures Heading --> New page
List of Figures Entry --> None
List of Tables Heading --> New page
List of Tables Entry --> None
List of Custom Figures Heading --> New page
List of Custom Figures Entry --> None
So that setting exactly matches what you say you are getting, namely "any new page". So where is the problem? :?
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
That's my point -- I want each of them to start on an odd page -- that is set for the Tables section.
At the List of XYZ Heading, I can choose between None and New Page -- Odd Page is not available there. Thus, if the first table ends on an odd page, the next table begins on an even page.
I also haven't figured out how to insert bands on a page to convert the Tables section into three individual sections where I could then start each on an odd page.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ah sorry, you're right. Currenty there is no even/odd option for the individual tables. Just new page. I'm passing this on as a Wish List request. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

Now you can include even/odd for the tables sections as well:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v831.exe

8)
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Thank you -- just tested and it does the business!
John Johann

Hi,
So going back to my original question about figure captions / numbering and switching to the new variables.
I currently have my images in Expanding text toggles with a conditional toggle caption above the image for html and a conditional image caption in the first paragraph after the toggle table with the caption for pdf/print.
The new counters only increment if they are in "incrementing locations", so I can't just search and replace the current ones.
If an image is in a toggle with a Toggle caption, it doesn't need a Figure caption for html.
If I don't add the caption as a Figure caption, it doesn't increment for Pdf.
If I switch the image toggles from Expanding text to Screenshot toggle, I can't control their size in the Pdf.

Can you add another checkbox in the Open Image dialogue similar to the "Add to Table of Figures" checkbox --> "Add to Html" (default unchecked)?

Or tell me what the "correct" solution is -- am I the only one with this set-up?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

This is a little complicated and seems difficult to describe. It would be helpful if you could provide a small demo project illustrating your setup and the problem you have with it. Please send it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). :)
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
On its way :-)