Publish Task / Compiler Messages

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ron Horn

Publish Task / Compiler Messages

Unread post by Ron Horn »

When I have multiple actions in a task, only the output from the last action is reported in the Compiler Messages. Is that expected?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Publish Task / Compiler Messages

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ron Horn wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm When I have multiple actions in a task, only the output from the last action is reported in the Compiler Messages. Is that expected?
That will be the report you see there, yes. If you want the full details you need to call the task with a batch file, then you will see everything in the command console, and you can also output it to a log file. For example:

Code: Select all

echo off
set hmpath="C:\Program Files (x86)\EC Software\HelpAndManual8\HELPMAN.EXE"
set projpath="e:\Documents\My HelpAndManual Projects\DemoHelp\NewProject.hmxz"

call %hmpath% %projpath% /TSK="My Task" /L=logfile.txt
pause
See Command Line Publishing in the documentation for full details.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ron Horn

Unread post by Ron Horn »

Well, I have 1 task, with 2 actions in it. Each action has a post-build event - which is a batch file.

When I execute Publish Task, it queues both actions and runs them in sequence. When finished, the Compiler Messages shows the full output of the batch file from ONLY the last action.

The reason for using this method is a single button push "within" H&M to complete two actions in a single publish run.

So it's just a fact and not a bug that only the last action in a task list is logged to H&M and if I wanted to see the output from both actions the only method is what you described?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ron Horn wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:48 pm So it's just a fact and not a bug that only the last action in a task list is logged to H&M and if I wanted to see the output from both actions the only method is what you described?
At the moment that is the situation, yes. I've passed this comment on to the development team and it may be changed in a future update. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.