Pining for WYSIWYG skin editing

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Pining for WYSIWYG skin editing

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

If only I could just type into a graphic editor to add little things to a skin.

Skin: Modern_Standard_Very_Plain_Webhelp

I've done these steps after some backing and filling:
1. Published the Webhelp so I could see it locally on my computer
2. Inspected the element in the area on Chrome that I want to modify and discovered that the area where I want to add the Help version number is HM_Headerbox.html
3. Opened that skin in PremiumPack
4. Found HM_Headerbox.html
5. Clicked on 'Edit Baggage File"

I just want to add the help Version number at the far right. I've totally forgotten how to do this. The code right now is

Code: Select all

<IF_VAR[OPT_NOHEADERLOGO=false]><a id="headerlogo" href="<%HEADERLOGO_URL%>" title="<%HEADERLOGO_TITLE%>" target="_blank"></a></IF_VAR[OPT_NOHEADERLOGO=false]>
<div id="headerwrapper"><h1 class="page_header" id="hm_pageheader"><%TITLE%></h1></div>
Do I edit that last line to something like...

Code: Select all

<div id="headerwrapper"><h1 class="page_header" id="hm_pageheader"><%TITLE%></h1><"text-align:right"><%VERSION%></div>
with the new bit being, "<text-align:right><%VERSION%> ?

[WHINE] It would be so much easier just to open an H+M Write-like WYSIWYG pane, set a right-tab and type %VERSION%... [/WHINE]
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Pining for WYSIWYG skin editing

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

You've got the right general idea, you're just not quite there. You need to put your text in a block tag inside the header text tag and then float it to the right with a smaller text size so that it doesn't interfere with anything else:

<IF_VAR[OPT_NOHEADERLOGO=false]><a id="headerlogo" href="<%HEADERLOGO_URL%>" title="<%HEADERLOGO_TITLE%>" target="_blank"></a></IF_VAR[OPT_NOHEADERLOGO=false]>
<div id="headerwrapper"><h1 class="page_header" id="hm_pageheader"><%TITLE%><div style="float: right; font-size: 1.000rem;"><%VERSION%></div></h1></div>

It would be so much easier just to open an H+M Write-like WYSIWYG pane, set a right-tab and type %VERSION%...
It would, but unfortunately HTML isn't that simple. If we had a WYSIWIG skin editor you could do a few basic, simple things with it, but for something like this you would still need to edit the source code. That is why the very few GUI web editor that exist just insert simple, predefined blocks. Everything else is still source code. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Thanks.

Odd - I opened (edited) the baggage file, edited it, saved it in the editor (Notepad++), and saved the project in PPT. However, the PPT "Save Project" button is still bright green.

I've tried to save using that button, then tried saving via File > Save. It's still bright green. When I File > Close, I get "You have unsaved changes in the project. Close without saving?"

I've been through everything I can find and there is no red-highlighted slot -- nothing in the many Variables, HTML Options or Baggage Files.

How do I find what the change is so that I can save it?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

This is a little bug in the new version that I noticed yesterday as well. I'm not yet quite sure what's triggering it. One possibility is that it happens when you are editing a baggage file but the baggage file list is not currently displayed. Was that the case with you? To fix, just close Toolbox and confirm that you want to close without saving. Then open again, check that the baggage file change has been made, and if it hasn't make it again and then you should be able to save.

An update with a full fix should be available next week.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Closed PPT, then re-opened PPT and the skin and got:
"[Warning]! You have Help+Manual open and skin locking is disabled. Please make sure you are not editing this skin in Help+Manual before trying to edit it in Toolbox!

Do not try to save a skin in Help+Manual while it is open in Toolbox."

I checked my open H+M -- the skin is not open in H+M. What is this warning about? Am I supposed to close H+M before opening PPT?
Tim Green
Site Admin

That's just a reminder not to try to edit the same skin in Toolbox and Help+Manual at the same time. Toolbox can't always know reliably if you do that so it just posts the warning to make sure, if it registeres that Help+Manual is running.
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

As always, thanks much.