Quotation marks for font-family in styles

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Simon_Dismore

Quotation marks for font-family in styles

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

I'm experimenting with a font called "72". This is failing because H+M doesn't put quotation marks around font names in default.css

Code: Select all

body, table, tr, th {
    font-size: 15px;
    font-family: 72;
}
I can fix this in the skin for the content area, but not the title or left-hand TOC etc. Is there a workaround using the H+M Editor or do I have to patch a custom css file into the publishing process? I'm testing with an adapted "Webhelp, iFrames Responsive, Grey.hmskin".

Thanks for any advice.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Quotation marks for font-family in styles

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

I'll have the devs check into this, but do you have any idea why this particular font requires quotes, since its name doesn't contain any spaces? My first thought is that it might be falling foul of the don't start a name with a number rule, but I'm not sure of that. However, "72" is certainly the silliest name for a font that I have ever heard, so I might tend to think that the people responsible for it are on the waiting list for the B-Ark to Golgafrincham... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Simon,

You are correct, this is missing. H&M quotes font names with spaces only, but should do so for any font name that starts with a digit as well. We'll add this with the next update.

However, it is probably a good idea to specify a fallback option for "72" in the CSS. When adding "72" to the CSS definitions, set it in quotes and it will work right away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Simon_Dismore

Alexander Halser wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:11 am We'll add this with the next update.
Thanks as always. Would that fix the problem controlling the face used for popups etc?
Alexander Halser wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:11 am specify a fallback option for "72" in the CSS [screenshot]
That makes sense, but isn't supported in an H+M 8.0 skin: you can only specify that at individual project level. Why...?
Tim Green wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:37 am "72" is certainly the silliest name for a font that I have ever heard, so I might tend to think that the people responsible for it are on the waiting list for the B-Ark to Golgafrincham
Neat cultural reference there :wink:.
Last edited by Simon_Dismore on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

you can only specify that at individual project level. Why...?
When you edit a skin, you typically edit the CSS directly, don't you? The HTML font fallback options are important for all situations where you can't edit the CSS directly, or not easily. Like inline CSS for hard-formatted text. And this is project-dependent. The more options a skin overwrites or can overwrite, the less flexible it becomes. That's why we don't have this option in the skins.

I'm going to post the next interim build here, when ready this week. The change in font quotes is implemented already. With that you don't need to modify this list anymore.
Alexander Halser
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Alexander Halser
Simon_Dismore

Alexander Halser wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:28 pm Build 5796 includes the change: https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v832.exe
Thanks very much, Alexander.