Image for specific topics

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Image for specific topics

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi, I've been quiet for a while :-)
I'm trying to find a way to tag specific topics with an image in PDF manuals.
For example, I have a chapter describing a task and then a sub-topic walk-through for practising. I'd like to have a little image marking those pages (sort of like divider sheets in a folder).
My first thought was to put text fields for odd/even pages with a variable in the pdf template and then set that variable to an image on the relevant topics -- but that only inserted the name of the image.

I've now inserted feature images in the practice topics and image fields for odd/even pages in the pdf template. That works for the pdf as I don't include the topic Intro template.

However, the CHM skin I use also includes the featured images in CHM output (hadn't cropped up before as I hadn't defined any).

Is it possible to have a second featured image -- one for the top level (which I'd soon like to use as it is designed) and one to tag the pages?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Image for specific topics

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

In PDF it's quite possible to have featured images both on the top level intro page and on the individual topic pages, for example in the page header. However, if you do that you will have the same image at the top of the page of the first chapter in every top-level topic as on the intro page, since the image is taken from that topic for both. You must also configure the template to have every topic level start on a new page, otherwise the topic featured images at the top of the page will always be those for the topic at the top of the page.

In CHM you should simply get the featured image for each topic that has one.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Re: Image for specific topics

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi Tim,
I think I'll have to try a few more variations out. It may actually be ok in my current set-up as long as the topic I want tagged in the pdf is not a top level chapter.