Search results - show topic title instead of project title

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Peter Muckle

Search results - show topic title instead of project title

Unread post by Peter Muckle »

HI Tim,

Using a modified v3 eWriter minimalist_standard skin, how can I change the search results to show the topic title rather than the project title (which are all the same and not very helpful)?

In the HTML Source Code tab in the Full Text Search of the Webhelp section of my skin, I have tried changing:

<title><%TITLE%></title>

to

<title><%TOPICTITLE%></title>

Any advice?

Thanks
Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Search results - show topic title instead of project title

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Peter,

That was an error and a side effect of something else in the original 4.1 release. It was only there for a couple of days and was fixed quickly. If you now re-download the same installer and reinstall you'll find that the problem is solved. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Peter Muckle

Hi Tim,

Is the problem with the skin file, so I have to re-modify the skin after re-downloading/installing PP toolbox with the corrected skins? Do I need to delete the existing skins?

Thanks

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Peter Muckle wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:08 pm Is the problem with the skin file, so I have to re-modify the skin after re-downloading/installing PP toolbox with the corrected skins? Do I need to delete the existing skins?
Yes, the correction is in the skins. Reinstalling will overwrite the existing source skins for that PP version (1.41) in \Templates\HTML Skins\. I'd recommend just using the new one.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Peter Muckle

OK thanks, I am starting to find my way around skins at least.

One thing I would find really handy is a screenshot of a skin with the elements named and brief instructions about where/how to edit them, as things are scattered around (or seem to be, I am sure there is a good reason) and sometimes it takes a long time to work out how to accomplish something simple. How to hide/show the very top bar with menu on the left, for example, or edit the content of the menus.

Thank you

Peter
Peter Muckle

I have downloaded the 4.1 skins, and am using V3 eWriter skin 'Minimalist_Standard_eWriter.hmskin'.

The search results is showing the project title on every result, not the topic title.

I have updated search template html ni a copy of the skin to change TOPIC to TOPICTITLE

<!-- HMSKIN FILETYPE: SEARCH -->
<title><%TOPICTITLE%></title>

Not sure if this is correct, but it is still showing the project/help title in every result.

Thanks

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

Sorry, this was something that actually didn't get updated yet. It's easy to fix. You are on the right track, you just edited the wrong template. Please reverse the change you made in the Search template -- that has no access to the topic title and that variable will be invalid there and will insert invalid characters. Also, <%TOPICTITLE%> is not a valid variable, it's <%TOPIC_TITLE%>.

Instead, make the same change in the Page Template, i.e. in the title tag there, change the variable from <%TITLE%> to <%TOPIC_TITLE%>.
Regards,

Private support:
Peter Muckle

Ah, that has done it.

Thanks

PS how do I show the top bar in eWriter? The one with a menu on the left, < and > buttons and a print button on the right.

I hid it but can't remember what the setting was.

Thanks
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

>
>One thing I would find really handy is a screenshot of a skin with the elements named and brief instructions about where/how to edit them, as things >are scattered around (or seem to be, I am sure there is a good reason) and sometimes it takes a long time to work out how to accomplish something >simple.

I wholeheartedly 1000% agree
Tim Green
Site Admin

Peter Muckle wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:45 am PS how do I show the top bar in eWriter? The one with a menu on the left, < and > buttons and a print button on the right.
You can configure the elements of the eWriter interface itself, if that is what you mean, in Configuration > Publishing Options > eBooks > eWriter and then the Menus and Translation tab.
Regards,

Private support: