Copy and paste problems

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

giordino

Copy and paste problems

Unread post by giordino »

Hello:

I don´t know if this problem has been already reported, but in my case it´s very annoying.

Most of the times, when I copy (ctrl+c) and paste (ctrl+v) text with some kind of format, the program paste the content as a plain text (without the format).

This is happening to me since I updated to the Help+Manual 8th version.

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Copy and paste problems

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Giordino,

Are you sure that you're using CTRL+V and not SHIFT+CTRL+V? The second option pastes as plain text, the first with formatting, if possible. This may also depend on what you are copying and from where. Check in View > Program Options > Shortcuts to see how your keyboard shortcuts are assigned for these functions. You'll find them in the Edit group, which is the first group in the list.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
giordino

Hello Tim:

No, I´m using CTRL+V (I´m sure). In fact, if I use the mouse to do it, it happens too.

I have also checked in View > Program Options > Shortcut and everything seems to be ok.

This doesn´t happen every time, but when it happens, I need to copy ans paste several times until It finally works (sometimes I can paste it correctly copying a lot more content; for example, one or two extra lines, but not always).

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Giordino,

This is a little strange and the first time we've heard about it. What program are you copying from?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
giordino

Hello Tim:

I´m copying stuff inside the Help+Manual program (from one chapter to another, or in the same chapter).

I´m no trying to copy anything from other programs.

Thanks.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Giordino,
It would be great if you could make a small video to illustrate this issue. If you copy from topic text to topic text, it's hard to imagine that H&M copies only plain text. Especially if it doesn't happen all the time. We never heard about such an issue in more than 20 years. The only thing that comes to my mind is a 3rd-party clipboard helper utility that runs in the background and modifies the clipboard content.

What happens if you copy formatted text from Word to H&M? Or vice versa?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
giordino

HI:

Sorry for the delay.

I´ve never tried to copy from another program, like Word.

I´ll test it.

And when I can, I will make a short video (I need a little time).

Thanks.
giordino

Hello again:

I made a little video where you can see the problem.

In the video I copied and pasted several times, with and without the mouse (usually I don´t use the mouse).

As you will be able to see, it happens sometimes, but not always.

Pay attention to second 45.

I used Wetransfer to upload the video. I hope It is ok for you.

Link:

https://we.tl/t-RVKwq2o5y4

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Thanks for the video. Now I think I can see what's happening: It looks like you're not copying into/from regular text when you get this effect. Those look like dropdown text toggles, not normal text. The text in them is inside the toggle dialog, and is plan text. The formatting is applied to the toggle itself. :)

PS: I don't recommend posting download links like that publicly. You should take the link down. If you need to send us something like that, contact our support directly at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @).
Regards,

Private support:
giordino

Hello.

So, what can I do?

Am I doing something wrong?

I have even changed my Keyboard, but I´m getting the same result with the new one.

Thanks for you time.
Tim Green
Site Admin

It has nothing to do with your keyboard. It is what you are copying. If what you are copying from/into are toggle headers they are not regular text. They are a special kind of hyperlink. Double-click on the toggle header to see the toggle dialog, for example. You can copy the text from the toggle header from the dialog, but only plain text, of course. If you want to change the toggle text you also need to copy the text into the toggle dialog, or change it there.

Study this chapter in the documentation to learn how to work with toggles:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_toggles.html
Regards,

Private support:
giordino

Ok, but it´s not a toggle.

What you see in the video is a table (It may be the same, I don´t know), and sometimes it happens, for example, with bold or italic text, when I paste it what I get is plain text.

Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Giordino,

Please send a small sample project with which you can reproduce this error to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will have a look at it. The project should be a single-file .hmxz. If you're using the uncompressed format you can save a .hmxz version with Save As in the File menu. After that you can delete any chapters and topics that are not relevant for the test to make it even smaller for sending. Then send just the .hmxz file.

Please provide clear instructions for reproducing the error in your email, including details on which text to copy and where to paste it.
Regards,

Private support: