What changes in the .hmxp file?

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

What changes in the .hmxp file?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

We're having issues with GIT synchronization and our company's GIT guru wonders:

What changes in the .hmxp file as I edit it and as another user edits it (we have a floating server license)? By which I mean what type of thing, of generally speaking what the changes are -- not the specific changes.

The situation is that we seem to always encounter conflicts that have to be manually resolved in our project's .hmxp file.

We're just beginning to track this down. It might be a faulty GIT install on our cloud server, or it might be the same issue on my local GIT repository.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: What changes in the .hmxp file?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

What specific conflicts are you experiencing? Lots of things change in the HMXP when you are editing because it contains all your project settings, and also in the TOC files in the \Maps folder. For example if you publish to a new output location, add baggage files, change any settings, modify the TOC and much more besides.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Tim Green wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 am What specific conflicts are you experiencing? Lots of things change in the HMXP when you are editing because it contains all your project settings, and also in the TOC files in the \Maps folder. For example if you publish to a new output location, add baggage files, change any settings, modify the TOC and much more besides.
I'm beginning to think the conflicts are inevitable. We have one writer who adds new topics -- obviously that will change the .hmxp He also adds / edits graphics -- will that level of granularity reach the .hmxp?

I do a lot of addition of links, indexing (keywords) additions, and new general topics...

It's making version control a hassle, with many minutes scouring 'diff' dialogs, trying to decide which line should be the winning candidate...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dave Gehman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:14 pm I'm beginning to think the conflicts are inevitable. We have one writer who adds new topics -- obviously that will change the .hmxp He also adds / edits graphics -- will that level of granularity reach the .hmxp?
Graphics will change the project file if you add them to the baggage (really bad idea) or register a new search path while adding them (also a bad idea). Particularly if you are under version control, all your graphics should be in their own folder(s) inside the project folder.

But you're still not providing details on what conflicts you're getting in the project file. It's difficult to provide a meaningful answer without that. A couple of examples would be helpful. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.