Recover unsaved changes

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Recover unsaved changes

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Windows decided to wake my computer out of it's sleep last night, install some updates and reboot itself. Thanks Windows. :applaud:

I had three projects in separate H+M windows open.

When I opened H+M this morning it told me one of the projects had not been saved and did I want to recover the unsaved changes. I agreed, but it opened another one of the projects that had already been saved.

Is the recovery file located somewhere I can access it?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Recover unsaved changes

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

Condolences. This is an unusual scenario and I'm checking on it with our developers. If you haven't yet re-edited the affected project you should be able to get the shadow copy. However, if you edit and save it will have been deleted. To access it, if it is available, do this:

Close all instances of Help+Manual. Open Windows Explorer, type in %TEMP% in the addressfield at the top and press ENTER. That will open your computer's temp folder. Then click on the Date Modified column (add it with right-click if it isn't displayed) so that the most recent files are pushed to the top. You're looking for files with long names starting with HM and the extension .rzip. Copy those files to a safe place. Then change the extension to .zip and unpack the contents of each to an empty folder. That will be a stub Help+Manual project containing only the files with unsaved changes. You will then be able to edit that in Help+Manual and copy and paste those changes to the affected project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Re: Recover unsaved changes

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Well, stone the crows, that worked a treat!

I've worked on H+M for about 3/4 years now and I've never lost any work, sometimes despite Window's best efforts.

Cheers, Tim. 8)