Edit Caption tool

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Edit Caption tool

Unread post by John Johann »

Just a little annoyance I noticed.
V 8.3.1 5794
I have switched to the new captions for tables and figures and have them enclosed in a condition for non-html output (the line breaks in the code example are just for ease of reading).

Code: Select all

<para styleclass="Image Caption">
	<conditional-text type="IFNOT" value="CHM,HTML"/>
	<figurelabel id="FIG_something_001" type="figure" figurelistinclude="true">&lt;%IMGCAP%&gt; &lt;%HMFIGCOUNTER%&gt;:</figurelabel>
	<tab />This is the caption<conditional-text type="END"/>
</para>
I often duplicate the image with caption and then double-click on the caption to open the editor and change the ID and caption for the next image.
When I close the Edit Figure caption dialogue, it removes my closing

Code: Select all

<conditional-text type="END"/>
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Edit Caption tool

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

Confirmed, this will be fixed. However, once you have the caption there you don't need to open the dialog to edit it. The caption text is just plain text after and separate from the caption object. You can edit it directly, just like any other text in the editor.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

You are correct. It is a glitch in the editor and you can see what's happening as soon as you double-click on the figure object: the entire text following the figure object is treated as caption text. This includes the closing IFDEF and that's why it gets deleted after editing. We have modified this behavior to consider only text as part of the caption, and stop at non-text objects.

Pre-release build 5866 changes that:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v840.exe
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
John Johann

Unread post by John Johann »

Thanks Tim and Alexander,
I'm aware that I can edit the text directly, however, if I do that and forget to edit the ID, the table/image numbering gets messed up. Thus I either have to use the Edit tool or go into the XML and edit there.