Help text missing?

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Help text missing?

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi,

I was trying to set up a link to a PDF file and was wondering what the extra fields mean.
2021-07-27_10-24-09.png
Trustfully went to help and see
2021-07-27_10-26-34.png
Am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Gerold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Help text missing?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,

The path option has been added to that dialog since the help was written. It is to allow you to enter a path to the file, but this will only work in WebHelp. In CHM help files you need to have the external files in the same folder as the CHM file, because of ancient bugs in the CHM system. The only exception here are the CHM skins in the Premium Pack add-on, which have special scripting to work around these old bugs. When using those skins you can enter a relative path for file links. In both cases, of course, the file must be present on the user's system in the location referenced by the path. Generally, it is still much easier to put the referenced files in the same folder as the WebHelp or CHM file. Then you can always be certain they will be found.

For example, if the file is in a subfolder of the folder containing your help called "PDF", you would enter .\PDF\ as the relative path (one dot means start at the current level). If it is in folder called "PDF" on the same level as the folder containing your help, you would enter ..\PDF\ (two dots mean go up one level). To go up two levels you would enter ..\..\PDF\, and so on.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.