WebHelp replace H&M logo and link

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

woody

WebHelp replace H&M logo and link

Unread post by woody »

I'm new to trying WebHelp output. I have been using chm output for years and I am looking for an updated look.
How do I replace the H&M logo and the link address in the upper left hand corner of the browser page with the company I work for?
thanks
Clip7.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woody

Re: WebHelp replace H&M logo and link

Unread post by woody »

I figured out to replace the logo.
Name the logo company-logo.png and replace the one in the HTML folder.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Woody,
I figured out to replace the logo. Name the logo company-logo.png and replace the one in the HTML folder.
That's correct. To change the link, look in the Project Explorer on the left and then navigate down to Configuration > Common Properties > Text Variables. You'll find variables there for both the target of the link and the name of the logo file, among other things. Remember to include the http:// or https:// prefix, otherwise the link won't work. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
woody

Unread post by woody »

Thanks. That works. Now I just have to pick a skin/template.

If I have other questions, should I post them separately?

Like:
Can I make the browser window open without tabs, so the help is promoted? (if so, how?)
I like the skin- Webhelp, Responsive Grey, Keywordlist.hmskin
Is there anyway to lighten the grey?
Thanks again.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Woody,
woody wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:29 pm If I have other questions, should I post them separately?

If you have completely separate questions it's always best to post a separate topic. That makes it easier for people using the forum as a database to find what they are looking for. These questions are related, so it's fine to keep them in this conversation. 8)
Can I make the browser window open without tabs, so the help is promoted? (if so, how?)
It used to be possible to control all kinds of browser behavior but all browsers are now much more restrictive. Basically, you should never try to change browser behavior with your pages. That's now bad practice and even with things that are possible it can easily get you downranked on Google and other search machines. The browser is the users' living room. Don't march in there and start rearranging their furniture. It won't bring you any benefits, and it will make your users angry at you. Just don't do it.
I like the skin- Webhelp, Responsive Grey, Keywordlist.hmskin
Is there anyway to lighten the grey?
All the responsive skins have basic configuration settings in the stored variables including some of the colors. Edit the skin and go to Configuration > Common Properties > Text Variables. In addition to that, look in the following places to edit the CSS directly. DON'T try to switch to "Simple" mode for the HTML templates -- that would delete the custom template and return you to the basic default wire-frame template (i.e. would delete all the skin customization).
  1. Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default. This is the topic page template and you will find some CSS there for things like the topic header.
  2. Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > Layout. This is the main layout page that contains all the WebHelp components -- the navigation pane, the page header and the topic page pane.
  3. Project Files > Baggage Files. Look for files with the .css extension there. They contain general CSS settings.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.