Unnumbered topic

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

vadim_vk

Unnumbered topic

Unread post by vadim_vk »

Hello !

I am exporting a H+M 8 project into PDF and want to have first topic unnumbered both in the document and in the table of contents.
Please help how can I do this ?

TOPIC WITHOUT NUMERATION .................. 5 <--- ?
1. FIRST TOPIC WITH NUMERATION ............. 6
2. SECOND TOPIC WITH NUMERATION .......... 8
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Unnumbered topic

Unread post by Tim Green »

vadim_vk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:59 pm I am exporting a H+M 8 project into PDF and want to have first topic unnumbered both in the document and in the table of contents.
That's not currently possible if the topic is coming from your project, because the numbering is generated on the basis of the topic level. The only way to turn it off would be for all the topics on that level, and since it would be a top-level topic (in your example) that would also turn off the numbering for all the topics on that level.

There is a way to achieve what you want, but it only works if the topic content fits on a single page of the PDF:
  1. Create a topic file in the Project Files > Topic Files section, so that it does not have a TOC entry. Right-click on its entry on the left and set its Include in Builds setting to PDF only. Put your content for the topic in this file and make a note of its topic ID (in the Topic Options tab on the left of the editor window).
  2. In the PDF template, create a new page with the Insert Page option in the Pages menu, in the location in the template where you want the page to appear. Edit the Page Options for the new page and put the title of the page in the PDF Bookmark Text: field.
  3. Use the Text Snippet option to insert a text snippet on the page (drag a rectangle to insert it). Choose the Load Topic option in the dialog displayed and insert the Topic ID of the topic you created in Step 1 above. Adjust the size of the snippet rectangle with the mouse after inserting.
You may need to experiment a little with the size and position of the snippet box, because you will only see the content when you publish. Again, this only works if the content fits on a single page, because snippet content cannot currently flow to an additional page.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
vadim_vk

Thank you, but when I create topic in template, it is not in Table of Contents..
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

vadim_vk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:14 pm Thank you, but when I create topic in template, it is not in Table of Contents..
No, that is normal because there is no standard entry for it. It will appear in the "Bookmarks" table of contents generated by the PDF Reader, but not in the print style table of contents that is part of the document. You can add a manual reference to it in the Title band above the Top Level Entry band. You may need to increase the height of this band in the Page Options of the Table of Contents to have enough space for this.

However, pages created by the user don't have variables for the page number. If you also want to show the page number, you need to use one of the standard pages that you aren't using. If you want it to come before the table of contents, use one of the three "Title" pages. If you want it to come after the TOC, use the Foreword page. Then you can use the corresponding page number variables for those pages to insert the page number in your manual reference in the Title band: For example, <%BEGINPAGETITLE1%> or <%BEGINPAGEFOREWORD%>, like this:
pdf_pageref.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
vadim_vk

Thank you !