Changing and keeping landscape in pdf

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Changing and keeping landscape in pdf

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Can you change to landscape and keep this change until you want to revert back to portrait?

As far as I can see, if you want a topic to be viewed in landscape, it has to be started on a new page, regardless of what proceeds it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Changing and keeping landscape in pdf

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

At the moment this is a function of the page break tool, which will only apply to the current topic. I've asked our developers if it would be possible to add a "From here" option to it, so that it would continue for all topics from that point until switched back.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

OK, cheers for the information, Tim.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

Update: It seems that there are deep technical reasons for this choice and making the page break tool's switch to "from here" for additional topics would cause a cascading series of unexpected problems that would be difficult to deal with. What you can do is create a single topic that masquerades as multiple topics:
  1. Put the content of all the consecutive topics in a single topic (don't overdo this...)
  2. Create headings at the points where your internal topics are going to start and insert anchors just above the headings
  3. Create additional TOC entries pointing to the same entry and linking to the anchors. Use TOC Link - Link to topic in this project in the Add Topic tool to do this
Then when you switch to landscape it will apply to the entire topic, which includes all the "topics" that it contains. In PDF this will be indistinguishable from real separate topics, including the correct TOC references. It will also work in WebHelp etc.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.