images TreeView

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

p-feenstra

images TreeView

Unread post by p-feenstra »

Hi Tim,

After recompiling my old v5 projects I've noticed that the TreeView checkboxes and icons still do not scale on a high res monitor.
And I mainly bought v8 for that.
Is it possible to fix this?

Regards Piet
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: images TreeView

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Piet,

Are you referring to the TreeView icons in the CHM/HTML Help viewer? That is a Windows component from Microsoft that Help+Manual cannot influence. You can only set a few configuration options in Configuration > Publishing Options > HTML Help. Styling the TOC or the user interface is not possible at all. The only styling Help+Manual or anyone else creating CHM files can perform is in the actual topic content.

The CHM viewer has not been changed or updated since the CHM system was introduced with Windows 98. Microsoft basically abandoned CHM immediately after releasing it. They haven't updated or maintained it at all since then, and all the original developers are no longer at Microsoft. It still contains all the original bugs and limitations, and none of the promised improvements has ever materialized. It is now carried forward as a "black box" that nobody at Microsoft ever touches.

The viewer does not support Unicode and does not know that high-resolution monitors exist -- since they didn't exist in 1998 when it was created. That is why the icons are still tiny and cannot be changed. The entire CHM system also doesn't know about long paths, or many characters that are now allowed in paths, and frequently fails when it encounters them. Again, this is not something that Help+Manual or anyone else creating CHM files can change. :roll:

We generally recommend using WebHelp hosted on a web server for your main documentation now. This can be styled completely, and has the added benefit that you can update it for all your users without redistributing anything. If you need local help to replace CHM, try the eWriter format, which combines the benefits of both CHM (single local file, all calls to your help open in the same window) and WebHelp (full styling of the entire interface), along with a compact viewer that you can install with your software, or your users can download themselves.

See here for details on eWriter:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... s_exe.html
https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... riter.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.