Integration with Grammarly

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Dressel

Integration with Grammarly

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

Have you ever considered integration with Grammarly? It is a 3rd party product that does a really good job in English correcting grammar mistakes. I would love it if H&M had this as an option.

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Integration with Grammarly

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately, Grammarly only interfaces with programs that they choose. There is no general interface that any application can use. They also have an online version, but that is only for web pages, and setting up an interface to that would not be practical for working in the Help+Manual editor. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

I think that is the problem. Integration is only for 3 common web technologies. H&M is a rich client and afaik the text edit control is 3rd party...

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Gerold Krommer wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:15 am I think that is the problem. Integration is only for 3 common web technologies. H&M is a rich client and afaik the text edit control is 3rd party...
Exactly. Those are web technologies and simply useless for integration in an X86/Win32 application like Help+Manual. It would have to be in a plugin similar to the DeepL translation plugin, with a separate window . That's fine for translation, because you translate the text once and then go on editing in the Help+Manual editor. But grammar suggestions need to be like active spell-checking: You need to see them while you are writing, in the editor. Nobody would want to constantly select text in the editor to see grammar suggestions in the additional Grammarly window and then paste the changes back into the editor. They just wouldn't do it. The entire project would be a waste of time and effort, because nobody would use it. And they would be right, because it would be a clunky monstrosity. :roll:
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

I use it in my Word and Outlook applications (not web-based), they have a download that integrates with it.

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ed Dressel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:58 am I use it in my Word and Outlook applications (not web-based), they have a download that integrates with it.
Yes, because Grammarly itself provided Microsoft with the integration, specifically for the Office programs. As I noted in my first reply to this, Grammarly only integrates with regular applications that they choose themselves. They don't have a general open interface that any other application can access, apart from the Web interface, and that is not an option in a program like Help+Manual for the reasons I already covered.
Regards,

Private support: