Project not publishing

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

dreesor

Project not publishing

Unread post by dreesor »

Hi

My project hangs at 57%, and it won't publish. I am running version 8 - build 8.2.1 5670.

The project is a collection of definitions which I pull from a repository file, and as I was inserting the snippets it would publish fine, but the last step I wanted to explore different skins. I changed skins and now it won't publish. The skin file is in the same folder as the actual project.

I am perplexed...

Thanks in advance.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Project not publishing

Unread post by Tim Green »

What output format are you using and are you getting any messages in the Compiler Report window? My guess here is that you are probably publishing a Microsoft HTML Help CHM file. Microsoft hasn't updated the CHM system since 1998, and it has a lot of quirks and sensitivities you need to take into account. Things to check if it's CHM:
  • Spaces or non-alphanumeric characters in the output file name or in any of the folder names in the output path. Accented characters, umlauts and special characters like apostrophes etc. are particularly problematic here.
  • Long paths or paths to folders that are not on the local computer you are working on.
You can also perform a manual compile of the CHM to get more information:

1. Compile to CHM with Help & Manual and DEselect the "Delete temporary files option in the Publish dialog. This will create a directory called \~tmpchm in your project directory.
2. Open Microsoft HTML Help Workshop (this was installed automatically when you installed the HTML Help compiler).
3. In Workshop, select File - Open and open the *.hhp file in your \~tmpchm directory.
4. Without making any changes select File - Compile and click on the [Compile] button.

The resulting compiler report may provide some pointers regarding where the problem is to be found.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Project not publishing

Unread post by Tim Green »

PS: The current version is 8.4.1 Build 5881

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.