Icons mystery

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main H&M forums on topic! If you have anything else you want to share, on any subject whatsoever, please post it here!

Moderator: Tim Green

Martin Wynne

Icons mystery

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

On my Windows10 desktop I have dozens of program shortcut icons.

Two of them, and only two, and for completely different types of program, have these double blue arrows in the top corner:
blue_arrows.png
blue_arrows.png (18 KiB) Viewed 9965 times
Any Windows experts here care to explain what they mean? I have drawn a blank. :?

thanks,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Icons mystery

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

Those two blue arrows indicate NTFS compression. You can set it for individual folders with the Advanced... button in the General tab of Properties.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Tim Green wrote:Those two blue arrows indicate NTFS compression. You can set it for individual folders with the Advanced... button in the General tab of Properties.
Thanks Tim.

But what does it mean applied to a program icon? Neither of these shortcuts, or any of their program folders or sub-folders, have the Compression box ticked, nor is this blue arrow icon appearing on them or any of their files. :?

Just curious, everything is working fine.

cheers,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

No idea -- I've never used it myself, just saw the description somewhere. I assumed it would appear when something was in a compressed folder or something like that. But no idea really, I'm afraid. I've never see them on my systems. Maybe it's something that those applications are doing?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Thanks Tim. It's been suggested on another forum that this is a bug in Windows, putting the compression icon in the wrong place on Mondays in February.

Who would have thought that Windows would still have bugs in it after all these years? :)

regards,

Martin.