Broken Links in Webhelp?

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main H&M forums on topic! If you have anything else you want to share, on any subject whatsoever, please post it here!

Moderator: Tim Green

Suzette Seveny

Broken Links in Webhelp?

Unread post by Suzette Seveny »

How do most of you check for broken links in browser-based help files?

I have several large, complex webhelp projects that are not published on the web, but are installed with the software. What is the best way for me to check my links?

TIA,

Suzette Leeming
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Broken Links in Webhelp?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Suzette,

Are you referring to links to external files or links within your project? You can check for broken links within your project with the Project Report tool in the Project tab.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Suzette,

If you double-click on a web link in the H&M editor, the link-edit dialog will open, which has a Test button:
test_link.png
test_link.png (14.06 KiB) Viewed 15205 times
regards,

Martin.
Suzette Seveny

Unread post by Suzette Seveny »

I am referring to external links I think. I have several help systems, and sometimes a topic in one will refer to a topic in another help file.

In those situations, the Test button doesn't work for me locally - I need to generate the help, have our code librarian upload it, then I can test it.

Maybe in my situation there isn't really a way to check my links locally.

Thanks anyway.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Suzette,

There isn't any way to test links like that locally because they aren't valid until they are "live" -- and even if they did work locally there would be no guarantee that they would also work in the actual runtime envioronment. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cindynotbrady

Unread post by cindynotbrady »

We have a work around for that problem. All our files are built with H&M and then we use Dreamweaver to check in our files from our personal computers to a remote server. The reason we do this is because we started out with Dreamweaver and have been slowly but surely migrating over to H&M-generated documents. The cool thing about checking in all our files to Dreamweaver, however, is that we can run a report of all broken links.
Deepak Pujari

Unread post by Deepak Pujari »

I am also facing the same problem, Many thanks for sharing this.