Windows10 update - cpu usage

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main H&M forums on topic! If you have anything else you want to share, on any subject whatsoever, please post it here!

Moderator: Tim Green

Martin Wynne

Windows10 update - cpu usage

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

I noticed after the most recent Windows10 update that my Surface Pro was running continuously at 15% cpu usage even when idle. Causing the fan to start and stop at random intervals.

After some digging it turned out to be caused by a screensaver slideshow running on the login screen. Or at least, turning that off cured the problem.

Which adds two more items to the long list of Windows mysteries. Why leave a login slideshow running in the background after a user has logged in? And why change it in the latest update?

To turn it off, go to Start > Settings > Personalisation > Lock screen. In the drop-down change Slideshow to Picture. Or alternatively scroll down and switch off "Show lock screen background picture".

Your mileage may vary. May contain nuts.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Windows10 update - cpu usage

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

Interesting. My SP4 was set to Windows Spotlight and I hadn't noticed the effect, but I've switched it to a static image anyway. Apropos battery: Although I love the Surface in practical terms, I will never ever buy another computer from Microsoft. After having it for just over a year I checked the battery status and it's down to just under 90% and so I preemptively asked MS how I would go about getting the battery replaced when it's down below 80%. The answer is that it's not possible to replace it. (Research shows that it's glued in with very strong epoxy and even an experienced technician will generally damage the computer seriously if they attempt to replace the battery.) You have to replace the entire computer, which they will only do at a reduced rate if the battery drops down below a certain capacity while you're still under warranty. Even then, you're paying nearly €600-700, effectively for a battery replacement. So this is a throwaway computer costing over €2.000... :evil:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Re: Windows10 update - cpu usage

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Tim,

Well it's hardly throwaway - just loses some portability. Even with battery capacity down to 10% after say 10 years it would still be usable while the charger or Surface Dock is plugged in. Which means it would still be usable in the car, or if you can keep a battery power pack in your pocket or rucksack. I have a 28000mAh brick in my rucksack with a SP charging cable which will easily keep it running all day if needed.

In fact my SP3 spends most of its time driving a 4K monitor via the Surface Dock, with the battery showing fully charged. It's just useful to know that if I need to take the whole thing with me I can - and at a moments notice just by flicking out the Dock connector.

My biggest gripe is and always has been the screen brightness. Even at 100% it's just not bright enough to see properly out of doors in daytime. Also the lack of GPS. Unlike my HUAWEI Android tablet which is far brighter and easily usable for maps when out and about. Codeweavers have a promising project to get Wine working on Android: https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/0 ... open-beta/ . All the Windows software I use runs fine on Wine - except H&M. :(

cheers,

Martin.