Help Desk Support

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main H&M forums on topic! If you have anything else you want to share, on any subject whatsoever, please post it here!

Moderator: Tim Green

cdcaims

Help Desk Support

Unread post by cdcaims »

Hi guys

I’m in need of some assistance.

Quick background: Our company produces software to manage airline information and other industry related matters.

As is so often the case with software providers, when a customer purchases our product, and many of them have, as part of our service, we support it.

What do I do here?: Good question :wink: . Most of the time my role here has me manage the preparation and production of company materials i.e. manuals, guides, on-line Help and what not. However, I also have a large involvement in others quality control related matters as well.

Anyway, I have recently been assigned a role in a project that requires I research, seek out and discover a product that will track help desk support issues and customer service inquiries. Something designed to organize, communicate, track and report support requests effectively.

We need a better solution than the one currently implemented (I won’t elaborate, but it’s fairly basic and semi-inefficient – if there is such a word).

The boys up top (hope they never read this – if they found out I called them that, my next post will be in the Seeking Work forum) have given me an open budget, so cost is not really a factor.

I’ve delved into the net and have found what seems to be thooooooooooooooousands of products that could probably do the job.

Do you guys have a name in mind that you feel is reputable? I’m one of those guys that believe word-of-mouth is the best form of marketing.

Have a nice one.

Cheers Stephan
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Stephan,

The product that probably has the best reputation at the moment is called FogBugz, which is made by Fog Creek, the software company of the famous programmer and writer Joel Spolsky. (His blog is one of the best and most entertaining columns on software and the software industry around.)

FogBugz was originally created as a bug-tracking solution but it can now also be used to manage support as well and I've only heard glowing reports about it. It's web-based with a web-based database so your support staff can all work on it from anywhere. It comes with lots of powerful features, including user forums integrated in the support reply process.

The only drawback I found when I tested it around a year ago was the lack of an offline mode. This means that if you're working on the road from a laptop you must remain online all the time while working.