Warning: Don't install the Windows 10 April Update yet

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Warning: Don't install the Windows 10 April Update yet

Unread post by Tim Green »

Please don't install the Windows 10 "April Update" yet if you can possibly avoid it. This update has been a mess so far and is causing serious problems on many computers. On some of our machines the Visual Studio 2015 development environment stops working completely and programs compiled with Visual Studio just display a plain white window without any content. In the HM world this only effects the Toolbox utility in the Premium Pack add-on, but at least be warned that this may happen if you update. There's nothing at all we can do about it -- it is something in Visual Studio itself and/or the .NET framework that is being broken by the Windows update.

If you have installed it and are experiencing problems you can roll back to the previous version quite easily. Open the Update panel in settings, select Recovery on the left and then select the option to return to the previous version. You will need to restart a couple of times and then you will usually also get some updates for the previous version as well to bring you up to the latest version of that.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tobias Escher

Re: Warning: Don't install the Windows 10 April Update yet

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

Hi Tim,
thanks for the heads up!
Wouldn't it be good to send a newsletter to all customers about this? I was just about to install the April update and had a bit of downtime while my windows machine rebooted, so I browsed this forum...
So I would not have noticed this warning otherwise.
Or is there a newsletter that I am maybe not on?

best

Tobias
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tobias,

We'd normally put something like this on our news blog but since this is not happening on all computers I'm not sure whether it's advisable to put out a scare like that more officially or not. We're going to discuss it.

As for newsletters: We're being very careful about those at the moment because of the impending introduction of the GDPR... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Hi

Good advice re Windows 10 1803

Coming from someone who supports around 1500 home/small business users - this recent build update is very odd, yesterday I installed it on 3 computers in one location, all exactly the same model, same software - on two it worked without problem, on third the AV software (AVG) just wouldn't work, even after full removal and reinstall - so had to revert back to 1709 for now - but odd as other two fine and I compared versions of software, settings, services, everything

Also for another company remote desktop won't work after 1803

So in summary I agree and have also told my customers to hold fire for now until all bugs resolved - which knowing Microsoft could be a while

As for GDPR - what a pain in the %^$# that is - for a one man company I have spent way to long sending out notifications to all customers asking them to re opt-in to newsletters etc - much more time spent than what I actually gain in business from sending out mailings anyway to be honest
Tobias Escher

Hi!
Any news about this?
I will not be able to put off installing the update much longer due to other software...
cheers
Tobias
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

I have been running 1803 for about a month and have not had any of the issues mentioned in this thread, with H&M or anything else. I don't use the PP Toolbox much but I just fired it up and it looks fine. Of course YMMV, but it is supposed to be easy to drop back. We use VS2013 and VS2017 here though, as well as RAD Studio 10.3, so I do not know about VS2015.

And no doubt just posting this message will tickle up some problem or other....
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tobias/Tim,

Most people don't have issues, but those that have them have lots of them. My issues were on the Surface Pro 4 and were clearly graphics-related, but they stopped VisualStudio 2015 from working entirely. Microsoft seems to agree, as 1803 is now no longer being offered on this machine, even in normal update mode. Out of an abundance of caution I'm also not installing it on my desktop machines. There is really no need to hurry, because there's nothing in it that anyone absolutely must have.

In their Windows Weekly podcast this week, Paul Thurrott and Mary-Jo Foley both reported a slew of new issues, including freezing screens, and generally recommended holding off for a couple of patch Tuesdays more if you possibly can. It's easy to do: Just select Advanced Options in the Updates section of settings and change your update cycle from "Semi-Annual (Targeted)" to "Semi-Annual". The latter means you won't get the update until Microsoft is confident that it will be OK for corporate use. Since their business customers are very important to them, they tend to be more careful and honest with them. :twisted:
Regards,

Private support:
Tobias Escher

Thanks for the explanation, Tim!
Unfortunately it seems I am past the point of no return. I have my Windows Update set to Semi Annual (NOT targeted), but I can't even shut down my machine now anymore. It only offers "Shut down and do updates" or "restart and do updates". Yesterday I still had the normal Shutdown and Restart. So it seems it has decided to do the update now...
I'll have to take my chances. Sucks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tobias Escher wrote:I'll have to take my chances. Sucks.
So long as you don't have a complete disaster it's not really a problem. The rollback function works very well and if you have any major issues you can always just choose the option to undo the last update.
Regards,

Private support: