Premium Pack 1.30 released

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Premium Pack 1.30 released

Unread post by Tim Green »

Help & Manual Premium Pack 1.30 has just been released with some major new features. The update is still free for all existing users, even though feature-wise this would really justify 2.0 status -- but we're keeping that for the new Web 2.0 version that is already in the works. 8)

See the announcement page here and the new demo videos here, purchase here.

New features, fixes and changes:
  • PP Updater utility for transferring your settings from one skin to another (.Net framework 3.5 or higher required)
  • Advanced JavaScript popups: Draggable, resizable, always fit in the browser window using scrollbars if necessary, video popups that dim the rest of the screen while playing.
  • Search in the WebHelp index: Searches for index keywords quickly, highlights hits and scrolls them into view automatically. Makes the keyword index radically more useful. Use of the index by users in the online version of the Help & Manual help has increased by several hundred percent since search was added.
  • Permalink and Favorites link: Users in WebHelp can now automatically copy the permalink to the current topic to the clipboard and click to add the topic to their browser favorites.
  • Print preview in WebHelp: Recent changes to some browsers have reduced the ability to print a whole topic directly from the topic frame. Selecting the Print button now generates a printable version of the topic with a print preview in an external window. This ensures that printing works in all browsers.
  • Mail feedback button improved to work better with WebMail clients
  • ToggleJump (links to anchors inside toggles) now also works for index entries that link to anchors in toggles in both CHM and WebHelp
  • Chapter + subtopics printing bug in CHM files fixed
  • XHTML is now the standard output format for WebHelp – this is automatic and independent of your settings in your project
  • Workaround for TOC Show/Hide bug in Google Chrome and Apple Safari
  • User warning for Google Chrome WebHelp bug on local drives
  • Dummy 3-frame header file export improved (only included for 3-frame output)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Waller

Re: Premium Pack 1.30 released

Unread post by John Waller »

GREAT work Tim. Congratulations on a very useful point upgrade.

I really like the search feature in the Index.

Request for 1.3x: PLEASE make the Auto TOC button larger, clearer and more intuitive. None of our content creators or users here use it because it's such a vague, non-descript button which means little to them. Seems a shame to leave that clever backend engineering which drives the script to go to waste because of a tepid UI control (the ATOC button).
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Sorry, Tim. Really, really, really dumb question .....

Am a premium skin subscriber. Have followed the links in your post. Cannot find a link on any of those pages to download the premium skin update. What am I doing wrong?
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Winsteps, the download link for existing subscribers to obtain all updates is contained in the email you received when you first purchased the Premium Pack.

You should also have received an email announcement from EC Software Support around Fri 15 Oct 2010 subject header "Help & Manual 5 Premium Pack 1.30 released!" which contains the update link too.
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Thanks, Roger. Will search for those emails.
Later: OK - have found the email from "EC Software Support"
Susan Shuya

Unread post by Susan Shuya »

Silly me can't find the PP Updater Utility - this is what the instructions say:

"Start the Premium Pack Updater by selecting its entry in the Help & Manual program group".

I may just be having a brain freeze this morning, but I just don't know to get at this - help!

Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi SS,

In the Windows Start menu, locate the group of program entries for Help & Manual -- the default is EC Software > Help & Manual 5 but you may have elected to put it somewhere else. The PPUpdater entry is added to this group by the installer. If you can't locate this you can always start it directly from the Help & Manual program group in your Program Files directory, the file name is PPUpdater.exe. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Susan Shuya

Unread post by Susan Shuya »

Of course! (slaps forehead)

Thanks Tim :)
Paul Gilman

Unread post by Paul Gilman »

I also just spent a silly amount of time trying to find the PP updater -- I figured "program group" referred to a ribbon group. A slight revision of Step 1 of "Using PP Updater" might save others like us some time.

Thanks,
Paul.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Paul,
Paul Gilman wrote:I also just spent a silly amount of time trying to find the PP updater -- I figured "program group" referred to a ribbon group. A slight revision of Step 1 of "Using PP Updater" might save others like us some time.
Sorry about that. I'll make it clearer in the help in the next update. 8)
Regards,

Private support: