Help & Manual Toolbox 1.26 Beta

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Help & Manual Toolbox Beta

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Nicolas,

Oops ... the expiry date in the update was wrong, my bad... :oops:

I've fixed it now. Just download it again and it will now work again. :mrgreen:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nicolas Wicke

Unread post by Nicolas Wicke »

Great! Thank you Tim.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.5 Beta

Change log for this update (expires July 1, 2014):

Fixes:
  • Error in RegEx search and replace:
    Search and replace failed with a null object exception on projects containing topics without titles.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.6 Beta

Changes:
  • No changes in this update. Just extended the expiry date to 1 September 2014.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.7 Beta

Changes and fixes in this update (expires September 15, 2014):

Changes:
  • You can now save the temporary copies of the HTML templates you are editing in a sub-folder of your project instead of in the main Windows temporary folder. The option for this is in the Preferences.
Fixes:
  • Corrected an issue when performing multiple regex searches on the same topic files with different regexes in the same session: The second replacement was performed on the original copy of the topic that was buffered before making the original replacement. Oops... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.8 Beta

Changes and fixes in this update (expires November 1, 2014):

Changes:
  • Support for new configuration variables in Premium Pack skins
Fixes:
  • New baggage files added in HM Toolbox didn't get registered correctly if auto-save was on
  • Setting the build option to "none" on baggage files failed in some beta versions of Help & Manual (almost nobody will ever be affected by this)
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.9 Beta

Changes and fixes in this update (expires January 1, 2015):

Changes:
  • Support for one new configuration variable that will be used in an upcoming update to the Premium Pack skins
  • Updated the expiry date.
Regards,

Private support:
TimeWriter

Unread post by TimeWriter »

Tim Green wrote:Hi Bruce,

We've added a Wish List item for printing comments for the next version of Help & Manual. I suppose I could add something like that to HM Toolbox, but it will have to wait at the moment because I'm currently totally focused on developing the base technologies for responsive WebHelp skins that will adapt themselves to any size and shape of mobile or desktop devices. 8)
Hello Jim,

'responsive webhelp' is great. Can anything being said about the release of this ?

regards..
Tim Green
Site Admin

'responsive webhelp' is great. Can anything being said about the release of this ?
This will be coming with the next major version of Help & Manual. Our target release for this is currently next Spring, but we can't make any firm promises at the moment. There's still a lot of work to do... :typing:
Regards,

Private support:
TimeWriter

Unread post by TimeWriter »

Tim Green wrote:
This will be coming with the next major version of Help & Manual. Our target release for this is currently next Spring, but we can't make any firm promises at the moment. There's still a lot of work to do... :typing:
---- November update H&M and Premium pack ------
Premium Pack 2.5:
Combined iPad + Android Tablet Skin
The dedicated iPad skin receives a major upgrade and is now also compatible with current Android tablets. This also includes offline web app mode, which allows users to save their WebHelp documentation locally and view it without an Internet connection.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Is it correct to say that this is something else as what you mentioned ?

regards,

Rinse
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rinse,
Is it correct to say that this is something else as what you mentioned ?
Yes, that is still a dedicated skin for tablets -- it has just been extended so that it now works for current Android tablets as well as the Apple iPad. The idea of really "responsive" skins is that they will automatically display correctly on phones, tablets and desktop computers, with automatic support for touch and/or mouse operation depending on the device.

In addition to this you will be able to embed your help in your existing web pages, rather like embedding a YouTube video. You would just need to paste in a snippet of code like this:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="../user/hmEmbedHelp.js"></script>  
<div id="helpwrapper">
<script type="text/javascript">
initHmHelp("../user/","introduction.htm");
</script> 
</div> 
The ../user reference is the path to the folder containing your WebHelp, the topic reference is the topic you want to open when it is first displayed. The help initially displays in the container you define for it (the "helpwrapper" div) but there is a button at the top right with which the user can expand it to the full page and back again. You can also display or hide it completely by putting one or more buttons anywhere on the page, like this:

<button id="hmHelpButton" class="hmHelpToggle" type="button" onclick="hmHelp.showHelp()">Show Help</button>
As long as the buttons have the class "hmHelpToggle" the text of all of them will be changed automatically depending on whether the help is visible or not.

Calls to the page with the embedded help can also be made via URLs to the page, like this:

yourPage.htm?hmhelp=welcome_topic.htm&anchor=myanchorintopic
These are just a couple of the things in the pipeline... 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.10 Beta

Changes and fixes in this update (expires February 1, 2015):

Changes:
  • Support for some new configuration variables that will be used an upcoming update to the Premium Pack skins.
  • Updated the expiry date.
Fixes:
  • Fixed incorrect warning alert for topics displayed when you selected the rename variable function in a skin.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.11 Beta

Changes:
  • Undocumented: You can now strip leading underscore characters from your topic IDs with the Add/Remove prefixes tool. Just enter a single underscore as the prefix to delete. This will be treated as an exception and the underscores will be removed from all topic IDs.
Fixes:
  • Links in topics were sometimes not updated when using the add/remove prefixes tool for topic IDs
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.12 Beta

Changes:
  • Improvement in the logic for deleting configuration entries from the HTML Options and Project Options sections. Now you cannot disable the "Activated" checkbox without also deleting the definition of the setting.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update to 1.1.13 Beta

Changes and fixes in this update (expires June 1, 2015):

Fixes:
  • The list of baggage files sometimes did not update correctly after deleting a baggage file from the current project.
Regards,

Private support: