Help & Manual 6.4 Released

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Help & Manual 6.4 Released

Unread post by Tim Green »

We have just released Help & Manual 6.4, which is a free update for all existing Help & Manual 6 users:

Help & Manual 6.4 Change Log and Download Link

Everyone who has reported issues recently should check out the change log and install the update as soon as possible, because it is quite likely that your issue has been included. Major changes include the ability to include and exclude entire table rows and columns with conditional text tags and batch processing for translated text in Impict images. There is also a long list of other improvements and new features in a wide range of areas, ranging from trivial to must-have. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cindynotbrady

Re: Help & Manual 6.4 Released

Unread post by cindynotbrady »

Hi Tim,

The issue I was having with 6.4 was not fixed. I have a master help file that contains many different chm topics. I cannot insert new chm topics into my master help using 6.4. The workaround you told me about didn't work. Are we no longer allowed to insert chm topics into a master help file? Are only hmxz topics now allowed in a master help file?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Cindy,
cindynotbrady wrote:The issue I was having with 6.4 was not fixed. I have a master help file that contains many different chm topics. I cannot insert new chm topics into my master help using 6.4. The workaround you told me about didn't work. Are we no longer allowed to insert chm topics into a master help file? Are only hmxz topics now allowed in a master help file?
Actually, what was happening before was a bug that has now been fixed. It only looked as though you were inserting CHMs directly; you never really were. Help & Manual was always compiling and inserting the HM projects, not the CHMs. It only seemed to work because you had the HMXZ project files with the matching names in the same folder as the CHMs. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cindynotbrady

Total aha moments here, so thanks. We have always been compiling our master help using chms, but it looks like we can insert hmxz's with the runtime option, and it still works. It looks like HelpandManual is smart enough to know that when an item is inserted into the master help as an hmxz, the system finds its compiled counterpart in the chm. (As long as all the chms are in the same folder as the Master help file.) Brilliant!

I know you'd written that in help, but I guess I never trusted it. I just tested it, and it works great.

Thanks! I'm learning new stuff in H&M everyday. It really is a great product.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Cindy

8) Two things to remember:

1) The names of the project and CHM must match exactly (it finds the CHM via its name) and the name must not contain any spaces or special characters. (Microsoft CHM is an ancient system and it is allergic to things like that.)
2) If there are changes in the CHMs you are merging remember that they need to be recompiled individually from their projects. Compiling the master project with the runtime node references doesn't automatically recompile the childe projects referenced in the nodes. That only happens with projects that are physically merged into a single file/help system.
Regards,

Private support:
cindynotbrady

I noticed a new checkbox when inserting an Internet Link. It's called "Activate 'No Follow' Option. What does that do?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Cindy,
cindynotbrady wrote:I noticed a new checkbox when inserting an Internet Link. It's called "Activate 'No Follow' Option. What does that do?
This is for links to other websites to which you want to refer without taking responsibility. It tells search engines that you don't want them to follow those links, so they won't be listed as pages that your site points to.
Regards,

Private support: