Premium Pack 2.3 and 1.57 Update

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Premium Pack 2.3 and 1.57 Update

Unread post by Tim Green »

The 2.30 update to the Help & Manual Premium Pack is now available and adds several important and valuable new features. Many of these features have also been added to the simultaneous 1.57 update for the original Premium Pack 1 skins for Help & Manual 6.

How to get the updates for 2.30 and 1.57:
You can download and install the updated version with the same download link and installation password from the mail you received when you purchased the Premium Pack. If you no longer have this please contact support@ec-software.com and we will help you out.

New Features:
  • Android Compatibility:
    Both the dedicated WebHelp skins and the Classic Dual-Mode skins are now compatible with current Android tablets and smartphones, with fast touch response and rotation support. If users use Firefox or Opera for Android it is even possible to use them with older Android devices, back to 2.3.6 Gingerbread. The dedicated smartphone skins are also still available, of course.
  • Windows Touch Compatibility:
    Similarly, the skins will now also work with Windows 8 touch devices like the Microsoft Surface and other Windows 8 tablet/laptop hybrids and Windows 8 laptops with touch screens. This will work best with Windows 8.1, which has radically improved support for this functionality.
  • Current topic URL in browser Address bar:
    The WebHelp, Classic Dual-Mode, iPad and Smartphone skins now all show the real URL to the current topic in the browser Address: bar as soon as the topic is loaded (index.html?topic.htm#anchor). This works in all modern browsers and Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 and higher. IE 9 and earlier do not support this function and show the same static URLs as before.
  • Changes for New Google Indexing Behavior:
    Google no longer indexes pages that automatically reload themselves. To accommodate this, topic pages in WebHelp now no longer automatically reload themselves with the table of contents when they are linked to directly, for example from search result links. Instead, the topic opens on its own with a highlighted link or button at the top with which the user can display the table of contents.
  • Open in a New Tab from the Table of Contents:
    As a result of the Google change, it is now also possible to use the browser’s “open in new tab” function to open topics in a new tab or window from the links in the TOC. Changes have been made to ensure that this works smoothly.
Bug fixes and issues:

A number of smaller issues reported by some users have also been fixed in this update.

WebHelp Skins:
  • Disqus comments in Google Chrome displayed incorrectly due to changes in Disqus’ iFrame behavior.
  • Topics opened on their own without the TOC displayed incorrectly in some versions of Internet Explorer.
Dual-Mode Classic Skins:
  • On some systems it was necessary to activate Compatibility Mode in Internet Explorer 9 to prevent the Classic skins from displaying a blank page in WebHelp. This is now no longer necessary.
CHM Skins:
  • When the file link fixer function was active KLinks and ALinks inserted with the Script Link function (for example for automated See Also lists) failed because the links were incorrectly converted.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marc Beneteau

Re: Premium Pack 2.3 and 1.57 Update

Unread post by Marc Beneteau »

Tim --

does this make PhoneStandard skin obsolete?

also can you please clarify what to do about the REDIRECT_SMARTPHONE variable in the skin. I cleared it (no need for extra project distributions if not necessary) but its giving me the "browser unsupported" error message. Should I just delete the variable?

also is the sitemap.xml option still present? I can't find it any more (likely just tired)

thanks
Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Marc Beneteau wrote: also is the sitemap.xml option still present? I can't find it any more (likely just tired)

thanks
Hi Marc

The sitemap.xml option is still present in latest skin update - in same place as before (Publishing Options > Webhelp > Navigation - about halfway down the page) - but I believe you set this in your project rather than in the skin, this is certainly how it is done in mine and works fine
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Marc,
Marc Beneteau wrote:does this make PhoneStandard skin obsolete?
No, the phone skins are still better for small smartphones. The normal skins have the multiple tabs and undocking options removed on tablets and phones, but they are still better on tablets and very large phones like the Samsung Galaxy Note or the HTC One or Nexus 5. The phone skins have also been updated to eliminate the automatic redirect that causes problems in Google. The individual pages there are now also displayed with a TOC button.
also can you please clarify what to do about the REDIRECT_SMARTPHONE variable in the skin. I cleared it (no need for extra project distributions if not necessary) but its giving me the "browser unsupported" error message. Should I just delete the variable?
Do not EVER delete a variable in one of the PP skins! If you do it will turn into a poisonous green frog and bite your big toe off. :twisted: If you want to redirect devices of the type indicated by these variables you need to enter a fully-qualified absolute URL for the page you want to redirect to, including the http:// prefix and the full path and page name with extension.

What devices are you getting the "browser unsupported" message on? That should now only happen on Windows Phone 7, Blackberry and really old Android devices and other ancient phones like old Nokia smartphones. I'm not 100% sure about Windows Phone 8 phones yet, I may have to do a small update for those.
also is the sitemap.xml option still present? I can't find it any more (likely just tired)
Definitely still there, in the WebHelp > Navigation section. You need to set this in your skin, not in your project. Remember that you must include everything from the http:// prefix up to and including the final slash, it is part of the path!
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marc Beneteau

Tim -
No i did not delete any skin variables ;)
I don't want to use Android redirection if the base skin now supports Android. Just tell me what to do (or what to put in REDIRECT_SMARTPHONE). You can view error by browsing http://wpencyclopedia.com in Android
thanks
Marc Beneteau

Tim -
a few test reports.
On my LG Optimus phone (Android 4.1.2) I am getting the nomobilewarning.htm error
On my HP Touchpad with Android 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod) I get the framed view (!) and next/previous work fine, but i can't click-through from the TOC to the topic, or expand the TOC.
Suggestions?
Darren Rose

Tim Green wrote:Definitely still there, in the WebHelp > Navigation section. You need to set this in your skin, not in your project. Remember that you must include everything from the http:// prefix up to and including the final slash, it is part of the path!
Just wanted to query this - I originally had sitemap set in my project rather than my skin and it worked fine - just read this so turned it off in my project and enabled it in my skin and now it doesn't create a sitemap?

Did you mean to say it had to be in skin NOT project - or should it be set in project and NOT skin?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Marc,
Marc Beneteau wrote:On my LG Optimus phone (Android 4.1.2) I am getting the nomobilewarning.htm error

That shouldn't be possible. Are you sure you deleted all the old files on the server and uploaded all the new ones? Also, what browser are you using? You should always use the current version of either Chrome or Firefox on Android. The stock browser is much worse. Opera (full version, not Mini) is OK, Dolphin is just about acceptable, everything else is garbage.
Marc Beneteau wrote:On my HP Touchpad with Android 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod) I get the framed view (!) and next/previous work fine, but i can't click-through from the TOC to the topic, or expand the TOC.
On anything prior to 4.1 you must use a current browser, the stock Android browser on those devices is completely useless. Chrome and Firefox are best, Opera full version is OK, Dolphin also OK but second-choice. Again, everything else is pretty much garbage.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Darren,
Darren Rose wrote:Just wanted to query this - I originally had sitemap set in my project rather than my skin and it worked fine - just read this so turned it off in my project and enabled it in my skin and now it doesn't create a sitemap?

Did you mean to say it had to be in skin NOT project - or should it be set in project and NOT skin?
I just tested this to make sure with the sitemap off in my project and on in the skin and it's definitely getting generated. If the sitemap is configured in the skin it can be on or off in your project, the skin version will always be used. If it's off in the skin it will only get generated if it's on in your project. Can you check and make sure? If it's on in your skin and really not getting generated for you then something is awry somewhere...
Regards,

Private support:
Darren Rose

Just tried it again

Made sure sitemap is turned OFF in my project and turned ON in my skin - and it doesn't generate a sitemap.xml file

Switched back and turned it OFF in my skin and ON in my project - and sitemap.xml generated correctly
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Darren,
Made sure sitemap is turned OFF in my project and turned ON in my skin - and it doesn't generate a sitemap.xml file
That's bizarre. I'll look into it, but you don't lose anything by activating it in your project instead.
Regards,

Private support:
Darren Rose

Tim Green wrote:Hi Darren,
That's bizarre. I'll look into it, but you don't lose anything by activating it in your project instead.
Okay thanks - not a problem anyway as you say because it gets created and seems okay anyway
Marc Beneteau

Tim Green wrote:Hi Marc,
Marc Beneteau wrote:On my LG Optimus phone (Android 4.1.2) I am getting the nomobilewarning.htm error

That shouldn't be possible. Are you sure you deleted all the old files on the server and uploaded all the new ones? Also, what browser are you using? You should always use the current version of either Chrome or Firefox on Android. The stock browser is much worse. Opera (full version, not Mini) is OK, Dolphin is just about acceptable, everything else is garbage.
Marc Beneteau wrote:On my HP Touchpad with Android 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod) I get the framed view (!) and next/previous work fine, but i can't click-through from the TOC to the topic, or expand the TOC.
On anything prior to 4.1 you must use a current browser, the stock Android browser on those devices is completely useless. Chrome and Firefox are best, Opera full version is OK, Dolphin also OK but second-choice. Again, everything else is pretty much garbage.
Update: I am definitely getting nomobilewarning.html on LG Optimus / Android 4.1.2 with stock browser. Chrome works perfectly and it also works perfectly on the HP Touchpad -- great job!.

I am updating nomobilewarning.html as follows -- suggest you do the same

Code: Select all

<h2>This smartphone or tablet browser is not supported</h2>
<p>Sorry, your smartphone or tablet browser cannot display this page correctly. You can view the page in a desktop browser, on an Android tablet running Android 4.0 or later in Chrome or Firefox, or with an Apple iPad using Mobile Safari.</p>
Of course this has to be placed early-on in the project as well, since the stock browsers have trouble opening the TOC (even if they would pass the nomobilewarning). Next/previous seems to work all the time.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm doing a few minor tweaks for a small-point update next week and I'll incorporate those things there. I'm also fine-tuning the tools that get shown in the toolbar depending on the device width so that the toolbar stops breaking the layout on narrow devices.

By the way: In my experiments, the WebHelp skins actually work in Firefox all the way back to Android 2.3.6, and the full version of Opera also works there although you have to scroll in it by tapping on the scrollbar (you can't drag to scroll). You can't install Chrome there, but it will work in Chrome in any version of Android that you can install Chrome on. Dolphin is also pretty good, but all the other also-ran browsers are pretty awful. I've tested almost all of them.
Regards,

Private support:
Felix Widmer

Unread post by Felix Widmer »

After generating a webhelp System with a new pp 2.30 skin, I still have the following (standard) footer:

Created with Help & Manual 6 and styled with Premium Pack Version 2.21 © by EC Software

Is this a typo or is pp 2.30 not active on my System?

Regards. --Felix.