Forum Update: Changed Interface

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Forum Update: Changed Interface

Unread post by Tim Green »

Happy New Year!

The phpBB forum software has been updated. This was necessary to be compatible with PHP 7, now that all older versions of PHP have been phased out. As a result the old portal landing page had to be removed and the interface is currently a little more basic. There is currently no equivalent portal extension for the latest version of phpBB, and I am also going to wait a while before making any additions. I've just had a nightmarish couple of days extracting all the old extension manually in order to get the forum updated and I'm very hesitant to add anything else too quickly. Generally, I'm feeling a lot more conservative about adding bells and whistles to the forum than I was in the past, as they always interfere with updating and compromise security. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon_Dismore

Re: Forum Update: Changed Interface

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Sorry to hear your New Year has been spent on PBP BB!

FYI every announcement is showing in every forum, which means a whole page has to scrolled to see topic messages, and all the announcements are showing up as linked to the H+M 5 Forum rather than their correct homes (HelpXplain, PP etc).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Simon_Dismore wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 amFYI every announcement is showing in every forum, which means a whole page has to scrolled to see topic messages, and all the announcements are showing up as linked to the H+M 5 Forum rather than their correct homes (HelpXplain, PP etc).
Damn. Thanks, I'm on it. :roll:
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

I think I've fixed it. This was probably related to having to remove the old Portal extension manually, because the uninstaller for it no longer worked. :? I've removed the "Global" attribute for all but the most important announcements and moved all those topics back to the Announcements section.
Regards,

Private support:
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Looks good, all the best for 2020
Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Firstly Happy New Year to you all.

Secondly I used to visit the forum every day or two and could easily with the last version see new posts, since the forum change it is now not so user friendly and I have to scroll down and look and each sub forum separately which is a chore. Hopefully we can have an equivalent to the last boards page which easily showed new posts....
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Darren,
Darren Rose wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 pmSecondly I used to visit the forum every day or two and could easily with the last version see new posts, since the forum change it is now not so user friendly and I have to scroll down and look and each sub forum separately which is a chore. Hopefully we can have an equivalent to the last boards page which easily showed new posts....
Unfortunately I have not yet been able to find an equivalent portal page for the new version of phpBB. I'm still looking. However, it's easy to get new posts even without it: The option is in the Quick Links menu at the top left below the HM logo. That is actually what I've always used, even with the old Portal page, as it's much more efficient. I have a bookmark to that link in my Bookmarks Bar.

This is the link if you want to copy it:

https://helpman.it-authoring.com/search ... nreadposts
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

That feature and link were well hidden! Great improvement.
Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Perfect - thanks Tim - just what I wanted :)