Help & Manual 3.30 BETA 2

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Help & Manual 3.30 BETA 2

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Help & Manual 3.30 (Beta 2) is available for download for registered users!

New features

Splash screen: soft fading can be turned off in "Tools|Customize"

• New help context tool (Tools menu): this tool is yet not fully implemented, this beta version includes just a tiny preview.

Native handling of JPEG and PNG images! Version 3.30 can handle JPEG and PNG images directly. That means if you have JPEG or PNG images, you may directly insert them into a topic without converting them to BMP first.

Please note that the support for JPEG and PNG is still limited in this beta. Both image formats can be used for HTML Help, browser based help, PDF and print. The MMH format does yet not support it (requires a new viewer, not included in this beta) and the automatic conversion for HLP files is not implemented (HLP files only support bitmaps). Furthermore, PNG transparency is ignored (we are working on that, too).

• This beta includes a new PDF engine (wPDF v2.0 from www.wptools.com).

The new PDF engine has improved text rendering and new options. The differences should be obvious when you look at the dots in the table of contents, which are more harmonious, a proper word and character spacing especially for right-aligned headings and finally, smoother pictures in the PDF.

Bug fixes

• "Apply layout" menu items in the text editor's context menu did not work.
• Print & PDF: the frame of shape objects was too thin in the printout
• Print: the "print all text in black" option did not work in particular situations

Remaining bugs

We are aware of the following bugs in this version, so please do not report it:

• PDF and print: we found some tiny but serious problems with page breaks in PDF and print. In some situations, Help & Manual does not fully print the last lines on a page - some text is missing. This may also happen with the last row in tables. We are working on that and hope to have a solution very soon.

• HTML Topic Templates: the internal parser for the topic templates does not correctly interpret the HTML code, if you use the characters "<" and ">" in java scripts (e.g. for mathematical expressions).

As always, feedback is welcome!
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Mike250

URL?

Unread post by Mike250 »

Please post the URL where this can be downloaded.
I am a paying customer. Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Mike,

You should already have the link -- you will also need your user code and password. If you don't please contact Alex directly at

support@ec-software.com

It wouldn't be a good idea to post the link for registered users here as this is a public forum that can be read by everyone. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mike250

URL

Unread post by Mike250 »

True. However you could build a members only backend requiring authentication to access that portion of the site. I do this for a living and would never recommend having member only files unprotected.

I'll go back through my email updates from EC Software and see if I can find reference to the beta file.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I will forward your compliments to Mr Ziersch! The new PDF engine in Help & Manual is courtesy of wPDF from www.wptools.com
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
ryanknoll

Unread post by ryanknoll »

I heard H&M 4.0 is going to have a new editing engine that supports styles and better table support, etc. When is that expected to be released? Sometime in 2003? Just curious.