New Forum Software

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

New Forum Software

Unread post by Tim Green »

The forum software has now been updated to the latest version, with a new look and a lot of new features. The most useful is probably "persistent unread topics" -- this means that topics you have not read yet will still be marked as unread next time you log on. But there is much more... 8)

Some passwords may not have converted during the forum update because of a new and more secure UTF8-based password management system. If you get a message telling you this just click on the "send new password" link and follow the instructions displayed. Alternatively you can use the "forgot password" option to send yourself a new password.

Note that there is now only one forum style. More may be added later, but only if they don't interfere with updating the forum software for security fixes etc. The multiple styles on the old forum made updates a nightmare, because the source code almost always needed to be edited manually for all the individual styles.

The feeds have also changed: The feeds are Atom only (phpBB3 does not support RSS out of the box). Currently you can subscribe to individual forum feeds with the feed icons in the individual forum list and a general feed with the feed icon in the main forum header. The feed icons are only displayed if you are logged in.

Please let me know if you run into any problems. I've tested this pretty extensively with a local installation before putting it online so everything should be OK. :typing:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
axoft

Re: New Forum Software

Unread post by axoft »

Hummm... The forum has errors in the searches!!!! :-(
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Can you give us a couple of examples to see for ourselves?
Tim Green
Site Admin

I'd like to see an example as well. One possible problem is that I regenerated the search index locally before uploading the new forum DB to reduce the load on the server. I can re-generate over the weekend to see if that helps, but I need to know what the problems are first. (New posts are added to the index automatically, of course, but it's possible that the local generation of the index might have caused a problem because of a slightly different PHP version or something like that.)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mmueller

Unread post by mmueller »

Hmm, till this update, I could recognise by orange color in which forums new topics could be found.
Now, I allways have to jump back to the portal, click into unread topics and then get a big list.
- How can I distinguish between the forums?
- Is there a shortcut back to this list?
Thx!
mmueller

Unread post by mmueller »

I should have took a closer look to this big list before...
I just found the in "in..."
Is there any chance to filter or sort this list (to answer questions like "what's new in wish list")
Tim Green
Site Admin

Forums with new posts are identified by a different icon in the forum list -- it is not really obvious enough, I'm going to look into changing it when I get the time. You can't filter the new/unread topics lists, but if you select a specific forum the new topics are always shown at the top of the list.

If you are interested in new features in phpBB3 you can participate in the phpBB community discussions at www.phpbb.com :)
Regards,

Private support:
Hasso

Unread post by Hasso »

Hello,

where do I find the buttons/links for Next Topic/Previous Topic in the new forum???
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Hasso,
Hasso wrote:where do I find the buttons/links for Next Topic/Previous Topic in the new forum???
Hmm... I didn't even know that this existed in the old forum software. I never noticed it and never used it. It seems that it's not available in the default template for PHPBB3 but you can add it manually by altering some code. I'll look into it...
Regards,

Private support: