Protect from change

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

waldemar.hersacher

Protect from change

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

I'm creating a document with a lots of keywords which must not be translated. I created a common repository for styles and added a style named Keywords. The text will have a different font and color.
To avoid translation I wanted the text marked with translate="false".
I can apply the Keywords style to the keyword and then select the text and change in the font dialog the setting to Protect from change. This will set the text to translate="false" but will also avoid to do any changes like flipping two consecutive characters from a typing error.
When editing a style this checkbox is disabled. This is consequent because applying a style will not allow to enter any text.

I need a checkbox Protect from translation which I can also activate in a style.

I see a problem here. Adding this needs to add a new attribute protected.
Activating Protect from change will set protected="true", disable Protect from translation and you cannot do any change.
Deactivating Protect from change will set protected="false", enable Protect from translation and you can do any change.
Converting old files must be done by the rule if translate="false" then protected="true" else proteced="false".

The current solution does not cover the scenario for multi language help where you need translate="true" and to protect text from accidential changes.

If nobody needs the protection of changing text accidentially you can just rename the checkox, enable it during style editing and allow the editor to change the text.
Waldemar
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Protect from change

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Waldemar,

I've put this on the list for consideration für HM7. If it's a style attribute there need not be any conflict with manual settings. That would be the same as any other style attribute: If there is a manual setting it would have priority over the style setting. So if the style was set to "no translate" but the manual formatting was set to "translate" then the attribute for the text would be "translate". That would be just the same as for bold or any other attribute.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.