Table Option to "Auto-Split" at Bottom of a Page

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Olivier Beltrami

Table Option to "Auto-Split" at Bottom of a Page

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

I am spending a lot of time splitting every single row of my tables so that I do not have dozens of half-empty pages because the table was too big to fit at the bottom of the current page. This is a pain on long topics/tables because after every split the editor goes back to the top of the topic and I have to scroll-down again to split the next row. To make matters worse, if I then need to re-size columns or add columns I must do it individually to every row. :x

Am I missing an obvious solution ?

If not, could you add an option in the table formats to "auto-split" (ie. if the table does not fit entirely at the bottom of the current page, split it internally in H&M, but not change the file). An option to specify the minimum number of rows that should appear in the 1st part would be useful to avoid just having the titles row on one page and all the other rows on the next page.
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Table Option to "Auto-Split" at Bottom of a Pa

Unread post by Tim Green »

Olivier Beltrami wrote:Am I missing an obvious solution ?
Hi Olivier, long time no hear! :)

I don't think you're missing anything but a workaround does occur to me, although it's only really practical for new projects: You could standardize on 2- or 3-row tables with no spaces between them, then they "split" elegantly whenever they need to.

This looks best with tables without gridlines, of course, because you can't define "no gridlines" for just the top and bottom of the table where the two tables meet in H&M. But even with gridlines it looks reasonably OK, provided the lines are just 1 pixel wide.

Not perfect, but perhaps a beginning... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.