Search/Replace text variables

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

SteveBarnett

Search/Replace text variables

Unread post by SteveBarnett »

I just produced my first H&M manual/help and made one or two mistakes along the way. The most painful could have been easily fixed if Find/Replace could replace text with Text Variables.

I tried making the replace string one of the text variables I had setup, but all it did was insert the plain text (<APPTITLE> in this case).

Would it be possible to have an option to search for a piece of text and have it replaced with a Text Variable?
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Steve,

there is no automatic way to do this but a very simple way to do it manually:

• Insert a text variable object into a topic
• Select the object only and hit CTRL + C to copy it
• Run "Find & Replace" to find text occurances of "<APPTITLE>"
• When the word is highlighted by the search function, hit CTRL + V to replace it with the variable object from the clipboard
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
SteveBarnett

Unread post by SteveBarnett »

I did that, but it got a little "boring" after a while. There were around 40 replacements to make and I found that I was clicking between windows to make it work.

To do the replace, you have to click on the find window to activate it and then again on the Find Next button to do the find. Having found the next occurrence, you have to click on the H&M main window to activate to in order to paste the field in. You then click twice on the find window to find the next one and so on...

It's painfully slow (though a valuable lesson in planning). If we can't have a paste-text-variable option in the find window, how about a "Find Next" function key, like many word processors give you. So, I could close the find window and, for example, hit F3 to locate and highlight the next match.

Steve