Publishing of XPS documents

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

KonDt

Publishing of XPS documents

Unread post by KonDt »

Hi,
is it possible to include publishing of XPS documents? I kown the documents can be printed manually by Help&Manual with the same template as PDF. But, printing the manuals does not support the setting of variables during publishing. Additionally, we have a lot of help documents generated daily by a build process.
(Some of our software uses XPS viewers to display the help. This is an easy way especially for integrating help in GUIs for equipment control in which no additional windows or applications can be open.)
In time, we have to open the generated PDF documents and save them as XPS documents manually at least biweekly. This is not comfortable and very time consuming (and the documents pile increases).

Best regards
Konni
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Publishing of XPS documents

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Konni,

This is already possible: Just select Print Manual in the File menu and then select Microsoft XPS Document Writer as your printer. You then select a PDF template and when you "print" and XPS or OXPS document will be created. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
KonDt

Unread post by KonDt »

Hi Tim,
I know that I can print the manuals by an XPS Printer. But I cannot publish an XPS document.
In time we create the PDF documents automatically per comand line (respective scripts in our build processes). There we configure the documents with skins and/or variables. This is not possible by printing the manuals only.

Best regards
Konni
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Konni,

You can do this with command line publishing. In the first step you create a PDF file, then the next steps in the batch file would print the PDF. You can find instructions for creating batches to print PDFs by googling, for example:

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/printfiles.php#Registered
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.