Dynamic Content

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Scott Fergus

Dynamic Content

Unread post by Scott Fergus »

Hi,

This request may already be on the wish list and there may be a way to do this with JavaScript (unfortunately I am not proficient enough to do it), but is there any possibility of including some sort of dynamic user-oriented content within published help files.

For example, I have a help file for one of our software applications that has various "flavors" in how it can be installed. While the core functionality within the application does not change much between flavors, there is sufficient functionality that is different between each flavor. I could write a different help file for each flavor which is not ideal as I use a lot of images so the help files would be rather large.

So, I am trying to think of a way where I can write one help file and when the user first opens help for the application, they can select what type of help they want depending on which flavor they have installed, this choice is remembered, and as a result only the help file topics that are relevant will be displayed. Even further, content within an individual help topic could be based on this selection as well.

As I stated above there may already be a way to do this so any help would be greatly appreciated. If not, I think it would make a great addition to any future release.

Regards, Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Content

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Scott,

If this is a Windows application then what you need here is the CHM help format with runtime merging. You create a modular project with the modules inserted in the TOC of the master project as runtime nodes, which are just placeholders. All the modules are compiled as separate CHM files. When the master CHM is opened, the sub-modules are only included in the TOC if the corresponding CHM files are physically present in the same folder. If they are not present they are not included. This makes it possible to distribute different versions very easily, just by including and excluding modules.

Start here in the help for details:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... method.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Scott Fergus

Re: Dynamic Content

Unread post by Scott Fergus »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply - I will investigate and hopefully it will provide what need.

Thanks, Scott