Warn when image shown in help is not the one seen in HM

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

hmotulsky

Warn when image shown in help is not the one seen in HM

Unread post by hmotulsky »

H and M is mostly a WYSIWYG program. But not always with images.

When I place an image in H and M, the program remembers the folder and name as it should. I can double click to bring up a dialog where I can choose a different image.

But when H and M compiles to help, there are situations where it picks a different image than the one I selected, without warning. This happens when.

-- There are both .png and .bmp files with the same name. If I put the png file in a help topic, that is what H and M shows me when I edit. But what it shows the end user after compiling is the .bmp file.

--The same file name exists in several folders. H and M knows what folder I chose the image from but sometimes decides to pick it from a different folder when compiling. I see one thing working in H and M (and can see the folder name is remembered by H and M) but the end user sees a different image.

Ideally, H and M wouldn't do image swaps like this. Probably hard to change that architecture now. But H and M certainly can and should show a warning when the image it picks to show the end user is not the one I picked.

My help files probably have about a thousand images. I spot check a few pages, but I don't carefully review every one. H and M is (I thought until last week) a WYSIWYG program. If it can't be that, at least present a warning when the images are substituted.
Harvey Motulsky